The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:28am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Techical Background Questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Techical Background Questions  (Read 1050 times)
mr.physics

Techical Background Questions
« on: Apr 13th, 2007, 6:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello All,

I've been a long time lurker here in the forums, and I have a question for those of you patent agents/attorneys out there.  Quick background before my question (sorry..):

I have a BS in physics and am currently finishing up a master's degree in medical physics (essentially an applied physics degree in medical imaging: MRI, CT, Ultrasound and radiotherapy).  I'm interested in pursuing a JD in IP law to become a patent attorney and will be applying to law schools this fall.  Currently, I am studying to take the patent bar at the end of summer.  Ok, now the question  Roll Eyes

I understand the necessity for a technical background in patent prosecution, but how much do you use your technical knowledge when it comes to the patent process?  How do you use your technical training on a daily basis?  Is it solely so you can understand what clients are trying to patent and to effectively do a prior art search?

I guess I'm partially worried that my technical knowledge will get rusty during the 3 years of law school.

I would *greatly* appreciate any input that anyone is willing to give me.  I've already learned so much from everyone on this forum from simply lurking around  Smiley

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2007, 6:17pm by mr.physics » IP Logged
TataBoxInhibitor

Re: Techical Background Questions
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2007, 6:32pm »

You are correct, the technical background is essential to understanding the art.  After three years of law school, I didnt remember many specifics, but you really do not have to.   You have the ability to look up and comprehend the material you had a background in.

I worked for 5 years in academic research labs and professionally for a couple years before I went (biochemistry) to law school.   It really just comes back when you see it, and if it doesnt, then you have to do a bit more research.
IP Logged
mr.physics

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 1:37pm »

So I guess I was correct in thinking that my technical knowledge will really just be used to understand how an item might relate to and differ from prior art, and then how to most effectively draft an application?  I don't think I'll be too worried about needing to remember that sort of science content after 3 years of law school.  Being the one trying to develop the patentable idea... that'd be a different story  Roll Eyes

Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2007, 12:36pm by mr.physics » IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 7:42pm »

on Apr 13th, 2007, 6:17pm, wiscmri wrote:
Hello All,

I guess I'm partially worried that my technical knowledge will get rusty during the 3 years of law school.

No worries.  During law school, just try to catch up with rule changes and so forth.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »