The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 29th, 2024, 3:35am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   online JD degree?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: online JD degree?  (Read 7851 times)
Wiscagent

Re: online JD degree?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 9:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My understanding, and I'm NOT an attorney, is that you need not be licensed to practice law within the state, provided that you are strictly working in-house, drafting contracts, negotiating deals (with your company as the client), and so forth.  And of course not misrepresenting your credentials.

But would your employer be willing to give you these assignments and pay you accordingly?  Certainly on the open job market you would be at a disadvantage relative to licensed attorneys.  Presumably studying law would increase your general knowledge and make you a more valuable employee, but wouldn’t your company rather hire a lawyer that can represent them in court, than a sort of semi-lawyer?
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
patento

« Reply #6 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 10:00am »

I am a JD from an online school. I was working (not in patent area) for a big company in a good position (plus working as a patent agent part time solo). Last year I passed CA bar and found a job with a small/medium IP law firm. I know another person who is PhD + JD (online). She got a job in a big law firm right after passing the bar.

However, these results are not typical. First of all, bar pass rate of online grads is very low. Secondly, even if you pass the bar, it will be almost impossible to get a job with a firm unless you have something else to show...such as a PhD or a good experience in technology.

Good thing is that you may be able to practice "patent prosecution(ONLY)" and call yourself a "patent attorney" anywhere in the US (even as a solo) if you are registered to practice before USPTO and licensed in CA.

However, let me say this - if you can go to a ABA approved school (many of them have evening programs), don't think about going to an online school.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2007, 10:04am by patento » IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #7 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 10:28am »

During my job search, I was told that a patent agent in a lawfirm makes more money than other associates in the law firm composed of around 160 people.

I paused to ponder "HOW COME?

One of the major contributing factors was about quality during patent filing and prosecution.

Then I asked, if I get JD from evening law school in DC area and pass the state bar exam, would it make a difference re my salary?  The answer was Not really.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
plex

« Reply #8 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 11:35am »

Patent agent salary doesn't scale at anywhere near the level an IP attorney's does. New associates could very likely make the same amount or less than an experienced agent, but they will soon pass the agent as they gain experience, especially if they make partner. Otherwise, no one would bother going through the trouble and the huge extra investment in time/money it takes to get a JD.

Also, sometimes when a person gets a higher degree while working at the same company they have always worked, their salary doesn't increase significantly. The company just assumes the person will accept the same pay as they had before because they won't want to move. However, it does allow someone much more mobility, because another company would be happy to hire someone with experience and a full set of appropriate degrees.

Also, let me point out that the CA bar is the hardest bar in the entire country, with easily the lowest bar passage rate, even for those who went through law school and bar prep materials, it is not necessarily going to be the easy way in.

Hmm, now that I think of it though, I wonder if those statistics are including those who got an online degree and took the bar, significantly bringing down the bar passage rate for the state. It would be interesting to see what kind of impact their policy has on their bar passage rate.

I don't have anything against distance learning though, I actually had one DL course in undergrad, through a guest course in another established college. There are just a lot of distance learning courses floating around that really aren't being regulated in any major way. Once they are, I believe they will be seen in a very different light.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2007, 12:09pm by plex » IP Logged
patento

« Reply #9 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 1:37pm »

Someone has given you a wrong information. Salary of an attorney or agent in a firm is linked to the billing rate and the billing rate of an attorney is generally far more than the billing rate of an agent.  

Probably they were comparing an agent with 5 years of experience with a brand new patent attorney.  

on Apr 8th, 2007, 10:28am, biopico wrote:
During my job search, I was told that a patent agent in a lawfirm makes more money than other associates in the law firm composed of around 160 people.

I paused to ponder "HOW COME?

One of the major contributing factors was about quality during patent filing and prosecution.

Then I asked, if I get JD from evening law school in DC area and pass the state bar exam, would it make a difference re my salary?  The answer was Not really.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »