The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 11:31pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   online JD degree?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: online JD degree?  (Read 7518 times)
biopico

Re: online JD degree?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 5:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The salary for the said patent agent was over $250K per year.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
plex

« Reply #11 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 6:29pm »

It is difficult to tell what each of us are comparing when we name exact pay levels, what number of years of experience, how relevant the experience is, the hours worked, if the person has stake in the company, quality of degrees the person has, location, family obligations...etc...

Particular companies can have special exceptions, but they can't be used to advise other people on what they should do, because that other person's circumstances are, almost without a doubt, going to be different in some way.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2007, 6:30pm by plex » IP Logged
forest

« Reply #12 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 7:09pm »

on Apr 8th, 2007, 5:58pm, biopico wrote:
The salary for the said patent agent was over $250K per year.

I'd say with near certainty that this is the exception rather than the rule.  

IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
John D
« Reply #13 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 9:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

thanks for the great feedback.

So what I understand now, passing CA bar (and patent bar) would allow you to call yourself a Patent Attorney in the US (even outside CA).  

I'm still a bit confused about what one would be eligible to do as an in-house Patent Attorney outside CA. Is it so that in-house patent attorney (online JD+CA bar) can do patent licensing, contracts, and negotiating deals for the company? What about giving legal advise about patent infringiment (as an in-house counsel)?
Can anybody do that in-house (in other words, can our janitor draft contracts for the company, assuming the company is fine with it?)

I understand that representing external clients (like when working for a law firm) is strictly limited to CA. I would not have any problems with that. On the other hand, in CA you would be eligible to do everything (just like ABA-accredited attorney) even though good (law) firms would probably not hire you.

I'm also a bit unclear about the respect for the online JD degree but if it makes you eligible to state bar, it cannot be totally useless.

In anycase, online JD study looks much more convenient (less stress, more freedom and time with the family). I would hate to spend every evening at school and stress about that. I found this comment from markus in some other thread similar to what I think about law school:
Quote:
I know I'll have many disagreements with others but quite frankly, we all have our opinions. With all due respect to my soon to be ex fellow law school students, you'll still be studying, burning daylight and midnight candles, IRAC-ing and being scared about getting called on in class to brief a case, looking at your books, doing your outlines, preparing for your finals and trying to pass some state bar (and still sucking on that every growing student loan debt)

I would hope that online school is much less stressful.
IP Logged
patento

« Reply #14 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 10:06pm »

My understanding is that almost all states have an exception to state bar membership for in-house counsels. Meaning, you don't have to be licensed in the jurisdiction in order to practice law as an in-house counsel.  You can do pretty much anything a local attorney could do as long as you represent ONLY your employer.

I think at least one state (Wisconsin) allows you to take the bar exam in that state once you are licenced in CA. Few other states will allow membership after few years of practice. DC will allow you to take the bar if you attend one year (26 credits) at an ABA school (rest online OK).  

on Apr 8th, 2007, 9:31pm, John D wrote:
thanks for the great feedback.

So what I understand now, passing CA bar (and patent bar) would allow you to call yourself a Patent Attorney in the US (even outside CA).  

I'm still a bit confused about what one would be eligible to do as an in-house Patent Attorney outside CA. Is it so that in-house patent attorney (online JD+CA bar) can do patent licensing, contracts, and negotiating deals for the company? What about giving legal advise about patent infringiment (as an in-house counsel)?
Can anybody do that in-house (in other words, can our janitor draft contracts for the company, assuming the company is fine with it?)

I understand that representing external clients (like when working for a law firm) is strictly limited to CA. I would not have any problems with that. On the other hand, in CA you would be eligible to do everything (just like ABA-accredited attorney) even though good (law) firms would probably not hire you.

I'm also a bit unclear about the respect for the online JD degree but if it makes you eligible to state bar, it cannot be totally useless.

In anycase, online JD study looks much more convenient (less stress, more freedom and time with the family). I would hate to spend every evening at school and stress about that. I found this comment from markus in some other thread similar to what I think about law school:

I would hope that online school is much less stressful.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »