The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 11:49pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Chicago Patent Law Interview Program 2007
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chicago Patent Law Interview Program 2007  (Read 9878 times)
daven

Re: Chicago Patent Law Interview Program 2007
« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 1:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 30th, 2007, 1:39pm, Guest1234 wrote:
Yeah,

Make sure either 1) you're at a top 14 school, where grades don't matter or either 2) your at a top 15 - 30 school, where grades matter a little bit.  

Otherwise, for every other school, make sure you're either 1) and EE in the top 25 percent or 2) any other engineer in the top 15 percent

Good Luck

Would be a waste of time for an ME to attend the college of william and mary?  They ranked 27th in '07 but dropped to 31 in '08.  I'm considering W&M mainly due to location.  I would study hard but wouldn't expect to graduate in the top 15%, given all the liberal arts grads who've had more than 2-3 undergrad writing courses..
IP Logged
forest

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 1:57pm »

on Apr 4th, 2007, 1:02pm, daven wrote:

Would be a waste of time for an ME to attend the college of william and mary?  They ranked 27th in '07 but dropped to 31 in '08.  I'm considering W&M mainly due to location.  I would study hard but wouldn't expect to graduate in the top 15%, given all the liberal arts grads who've had more than 2-3 undergrad writing courses..

a 4 spot drop in rankings is insignificant. it's still a good school.
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
Isaac

« Reply #7 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 4:18pm »

I would study hard but wouldn't expect to graduate in the top 15%, given all the liberal arts grads who've had more than 2-3 undergrad writing courses..

My experience in law school was that the liberal arts grads enjoyed no particular advantage over their more mathematically inclined peers.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2007, 4:31pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
JAYC
« Reply #8 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 5:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I think W&M is a good school.  I would say top 25% at that school would be a shoe in for a patent firm.  And as Isaac mentioned, I don't think liberal arts majors have any advantage over engineers.  In fact, I find that the people who do well in law school are those that pay attention to all the little details of the law (mentioned in the casebooks/classes), remember those details, and then apply them on the exam.  I guess engineers are good at this skill, but don't discount liberal arts majors either.  
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #9 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 5:22pm »

Engineers are also used to having competitive curves and tests that can make or break their grade, at least, that's how it was like for me for all my classes as an EE. They are also used to having a ridiculous amount of homework as well, even if law is memorizing reams of text for a test, rather than pages of formulas.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2007, 5:53pm by plex » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »