The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 6:49am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Chicago Patent Law Interview Program 2007
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chicago Patent Law Interview Program 2007  (Read 9892 times)
ritara

Re: Chicago Patent Law Interview Program 2007
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 8:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You are lucky!
I don't want to be pessimistic. But last year my friend, a U Mich law student, with a PhD degree and top 25% law school GPA, didn't get one callback after 15 interviews. His theory is those firms will come to the U Mich OCI later, so they want to evaluate him with the whole UM student pool.  
I am still shocked...
IP Logged
forest

« Reply #16 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 10:53am »

on Apr 12th, 2007, 8:26am, ritara wrote:
You are lucky!
I don't want to be pessimistic. But last year my friend, a U Mich law student, with a PhD degree and top 25% law school GPA, didn't get one callback after 15 interviews. His theory is those firms will come to the U Mich OCI later, so they want to evaluate him with the whole UM student pool.  
I am still shocked...

an alternate theory might be that he's not all that impressive of an interviewer Wink
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
plex

« Reply #17 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 3:40pm »

Also, what did he have a BS and PhD in? If he was trying to go into IP with some sort of liberal arts degree, PhD or not, he was going to get denied by any employer looking for more than someone limited to copyrights/trademarks. It is isn't something you can just overcome with good grades, he would have to go back and get a useful degree.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2007, 3:42pm by plex » IP Logged
ritara

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 8:00pm »

chemistry. And he got an offer from a top law firm through OCI.  
Maybe something wrong with his bidding strategy? Maybe it is not a good idea to bid those big firms with comprehensive practice areas in this program? Especially when they will come to you school's OCI later? Shall I focus on boutique firms instead?
I am a UM student too, with a MS in biotechnology. GPA is much less satisfying than his. His experience really makes me nervous.
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 8:17pm »

You'll be fine, the odds are heavily stacked in both your, and your friends, favor for finding the type of job you want. You both have decent technical backgrounds and a very good law background. Just keep up your efforts to get into the type of firm in which you are interested.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2007, 8:22pm by plex » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »