The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 7:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Chicago Patent Law Interview Program 2007
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chicago Patent Law Interview Program 2007  (Read 9893 times)
daven

Re: Chicago Patent Law Interview Program 2007
« Reply #10 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 1:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 4th, 2007, 5:22pm, plex wrote:
Engineers are also used to having competitive curves and tests that can make or break their grade, at least, that's how it was like for me for all my classes as an EE. They are also used to having a ridiculous amount of homework as well, even if law is memorizing reams of text for a test, rather than pages of formulas.

Yea, that makes sense. I used to get to school by 7am every week day and didn't leave until 5-6pm. After awhile, word got out that I always worked all of the homework problems and got decent grades.. I had to schedule one of the library study rooms to hide from all the guys roaming the library at the last second before class looking for someone to copy homework from.Sad I don't mind working problems WITH someone but I'm not going to work hard for hours and let someone copy my work.

Believe me, if I go back to law school full time I'll maintain a similar study schedule. It's just tough to give up full time engineering pay when you're not *positive* three years of studying very hard will get you a better paying job. I made right around $100k w/overtime the last two out of three years, so the risk or opportunity cost is way up there. I'm sure many of the people on here have similar concerns.

I might drive to W&M and ask the law school employment/placement office for more detailed hiring data for engineers. I would feel much better if they could tell me they had **** engineers graduate law school and xx% started out making $****. You'll run a race harder if you know what's at the finish line.Smiley

BTW, here's W&M's employment info:
http://www.wm.edu/law/careerservices/grad_profile.shtml

$110/yr median looks good but $35k/yr-135k/yr is a huge range.  If I could study hard and expect to be at or above the median I'd probably do it..
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2007, 1:44pm by daven » IP Logged
plex

« Reply #11 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 6:28pm »

It is going to be at the upper end of that median range for sure, as long as you do alright in school and have an appropriate technical degree (even among the technical degrees, not all of them are viewed equally). IP law is the most lucrative of the fields, and probably the most interesting too, it just has really high barriers for entry compared to all the other areas.

I cringe for other law students who may read about IP law when they first enter a law school, be told by the school that anyone can do it, go into an IP concentration, then find out that their poli sci or english degree isn't go to allow them to do anything more than copyrights/trademarks.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2007, 6:35pm by plex » IP Logged
daven

« Reply #12 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 7:12pm »

Is a BSME appropriate enough to get a job? Huh  I had nearly two years of electronics training in the military but switched to mechanical when I went back to college.  From what I understand, firms assign ME's to litigation if they only have openings for electrical or computer people in prosecution.  I would be happy either way.

thanks for the helpful info.

IP Logged
plex

« Reply #13 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 8:44pm »

ME's don't have it too bad, it will probably take more effort, since there would be fewer job postings, and a bit higher law gpa compared to the electrical/computer or PhD bios might be needed. I haven't really heard of a lot of ME's needing going back to get an EE degree, which wouldn't take them all that long to get, at least compared to most other majors, a lot of classes would transfer.  

I would guess as time goes on though, it is going to grow more difficult for ME's to gain initial entry, as the number of mechanical inventions dwindle into obscurity. It really isn't at that point yet though.
IP Logged
Ayan Afridi
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 9:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I went to the 2006 Patent Law Interview Program - I only had one interview there, and I took the interview, got a call back, and got the job.  

I am from a law school that is like #70 something on the U.S. News ranking bs, with a GPA that is a low 3.  

I had an B.S. in Comp E and EE, and have been working as a programmer for the past 4 yrs while in law school earning 100k.  

The law job i was offered offered me 135k.  

So yeah the lesson is- apply ANYWAY people!!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »