The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:48am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Re: Transfer to DC?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Transfer to DC?  (Read 869 times)
plex

« on: Mar 18th, 2007, 1:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Personally, I am going to a 3rd tier school for 1L. I expect to do well, but if I don't, somehow, so I can transfer to at least a tier 2, I plan to drop out, work at the USPTO (I'm an EE with a decent GPA and a lot of work exp), retake the LSATs, and go to a higher tier school.

From what I've read and through interviews, I have seen you can definitely get in to a smaller, lower end paying firm even from a tier 3 school, with the right combination of other degrees and experience, but, your options for the better paying firms, they vary even when you take into consideration how many billable hours you are working, are still, at the very least, somewhat limited later on.

Going from a tier 2 to a tier 3 isn't going to change how well you handle the material though, what may change is how adept the other students around you are at the material, somewhat boosting your GPA because of the different curve, but the best way to boost your GPA is through increased effort where you are.

The real question is, are you able to pickup some relevant experience in your area?  

Working at the USPTO would be more valuable than nothing or technical work such as engineering. Personally for 1L, I plan on working either at firm in the area while I am in school part time, or failing that, work as a patent agent, this would all depend on how well I was doing at the tier3 though, if I am not doing well, as I said, I would immediately drop and go get some experience at the USPTO, low grades at a tier3 would not only make me look weak academically, but greatly decrease my chances for good work experience.
IP Logged
forest

« Reply #1 on: Mar 18th, 2007, 3:00pm »

on Mar 18th, 2007, 12:51pm, JAYC wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a current 1L at a 2nd tier law school.  My grades the first semester were horrible, and I don't know how well I can do this semester.  I was wondering what people's thoughts are on transferring to Catholic's part time program, and then working full time at the PTO?

The drawback is that I'll be leaving a 2nd tier school for a 3rd tier.

The upside is that when i graduate, i'll have 2-3 years of PTO experience, to better position me for a firm job after graduation.  

Any thoughts on this?  

I think you need to determine whether you could definitely work at the PTO. Have they extended an offer to you? Did you work there before? Do you have the right qualifications? They don't just let you walk in the door, pick an office, and start examining patents...

Wink

Personally, I think you'd be better off looking for work in a firm than the PTO...
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
mandejapan

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18th, 2007, 6:13pm »

I have a friend that worked at the PTO for a couple of years and started his law degree at Catholic University (I think) but after a couple of years at the PTO he started working for a law firm in DC, and he's about to finish his law degree this year. Once he finishes law school this semester the firm is going to be paying him about 150k salary, and I think he's already getting about 100-120k. He did the part time law school program so this is his fourth year in it. I think a couple of years of experience at the PTO goes a long way with getting a job at a law firm...
IP Logged
JAYC
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19th, 2007, 9:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

So it looks like transferring to a third tier school will not be detrimental to my prospects at an IP firm, because the PTO experience will make up for it in terms of getting my foot in the door for a job.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19th, 2007, 3:18pm »

on Mar 19th, 2007, 9:43am, JAYC wrote:

So it looks like transferring to a third tier school will not be detrimental to my prospects at an IP firm, because the PTO experience will make up for it in terms of getting my foot in the door for a job.

You've also given a fairly pessimistic view of your prospects without the transfer, so perhaps you're correct.   Otherwise, I would suggest that your current plan involves a lot of speculation about some fairly uncertain events.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »