The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:44am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Agent -> JD -> Patent Attorney
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Agent -> JD -> Patent Attorney  (Read 899 times)
Dan Kog
Patent Agent -> JD -> Patent Attorney
« on: Mar 16th, 2007, 5:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi there,

I have a bachelor's in EE, and have worked as a software engineer for the last 5 years in the Bay Area.

My problem is that I THINK I want to become a patent attorney, but I'm not sure. Please, tell me if the following plan makes sense to you guys:

1) I pass the Patent Bar Exam
2) I find a job as a Patent Agent in one of the local firms (is it possible, without having or even studying for a JD?)
3) Work there for a year, and if I happen to like the work and be good at it - go for a part-time JD studies in Santa Clara University,which has a good IP reputation, I heard.
4) Getting a JD will automatically upgrade me to a Patent Attorney Smiley

Thanks!!
Daniel.
IP Logged
biopico

Re: Patent Agent -> JD -> Patent Attorney
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 5:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 16th, 2007, 5:48pm, Dan Kog wrote:
Hi there,

I have a bachelor's in EE, and have worked as a software engineer for the last 5 years in the Bay Area.

My problem is that I THINK I want to become a patent attorney, but I'm not sure. Please, tell me if the following plan makes sense to you guys:

1) I pass the Patent Bar Exam
2) I find a job as a Patent Agent in one of the local firms (is it possible, without having or even studying for a JD?)
3) Work there for a year, and if I happen to like the work and be good at it - go for a part-time JD studies in Santa Clara University,which has a good IP reputation, I heard.
4) Getting a JD will automatically upgrade me to a Patent Attorney Smiley

Thanks!!
Daniel.

You want to become a patent attorney is not your problem, but rather it is an excellent goal in your career.  It sounds great to me.  I wish I had done the same thing.  
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
SoCalAttny
Re: Patent Agent -> JD -> Patent Attorney
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 9:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Do it.  
The time will pass, 4 years, at which point you will either be a patent attorney or not.  

If you are not a patent attorney but would like to be, 4 years gone. If you are a patent attorney and do not like it, deliver pizzas.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »