The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:57am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Pay for jobs in patent searching/evaluation?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Pay for jobs in patent searching/evaluation?  (Read 761 times)
superman10

Pay for jobs in patent searching/evaluation?
« on: Mar 13th, 2007, 3:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What does someone who works at a patent evaluation company make? I guess it would be like a patent searcher, but instead of just seraching for patents, you'd also evaluate them and try to see how they stack up against the competitors...

Anyone have any thoughts on what that would pay? This iis for somebody with no experience. Thanks...
IP Logged
A.Non.E.Mous
Re: Pay for jobs in patent searching/evaluation?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 5:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I used to work for an IP consulting firm for 5 years (2001-2006) before my current job.  We used to do everything from prior art searching (high end stuff supporting litigation with budgets from $5k to $25k) to IP landscape analysis (with budgets from $25k and up).

Our starting salaries for recent college graduates was about $50,000 and salaries for PhD's was about $70,000.  When I left the company I was co-head of the medical device group and my salary was $80,000.  

Salaries for this type of company depend heavily on the business model (overhead, etc.) and the hourly rates.  Our rates were generally $100/hour, so our salaries were limited by that.
IP Logged
asdfg

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 6:10pm »

Can someone give me more information on patent evaluation companies, mentioned in earlier mails. do they need people who have passed the patent bar exam. Thanks.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 6:47pm »

"... patent evaluation companies ... do they need people who have passed the patent bar exam?"

Being a registered patent practitioner certainly shows some level of interest in patents, it also shows some level of understanding of patent law and terminology.  Of course there are individuals who are not practitioners who are also knowledgeable in these areas.  Probably being a patent agent or attorney would help set you apart from many other candidates and might help get you an interview.

But more specifically “do they NEED people who have passed the patent bar exam?”  No.  They generally do not file or prosecute patent applications.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
asdfg

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 6:58pm »

Thank you very much for providing the information. I really appreciate it.  

Presently I am unemployed with a Ph.D in materials science/Physics and some postdoctoral experience. I am planning to write the patent bar exam very soon. I was just wondering whether I should apply for a job now - since I do not have any IP experience - or wait to be registered (which looks like a  long time - almost 2 months after passing the exam).  
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »