The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 10:27am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   USPTO experience...valuable?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: USPTO experience...valuable?  (Read 1956 times)
Henry Giano
USPTO experience...valuable?
« on: Mar 12th, 2007, 7:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How valuable is 1 - 2 years experience as an examiner at the USPTO in terms of find a job as a patent agent or attorney?
IP Logged
MikeM
Re: USPTO experience...valuable?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 4:59pm »

I think you might want a bit more time at the PTO than that to really translate it into a valuable resume builder...  You want to at least become a primary examiner to show you know your stuff (also if you complete the full signatory program, I believe you don't have to take the patent bar)...  Also if you don't have a JD already, the PTO will pay for you to get one while you're there.
IP Logged
Henry Giano
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 5:48pm »

hhmm, thats the problem, I would actually rather work at a law firm than PTO and was deciding on persuing a career at a law firm and eventually as an IP attorney. I was hoping that working at PTO for 2 years would be a valuable asset when presented on my resume. So I guess PTO experience is not valuable in terms of firms hiring?
IP Logged
sdf
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 7:42pm »

My officemate at the PTO just interviewed with a firm and they were saying they didn't want anyone who had more than two years experience at the PTO.  They're not the only ones I've heard from who have said that too much experience as an examiner is frowned upon when considering someone to hire or not.  The canidates apparently just develop a certain mindset that's not too compatiable with what they're wanting on the other side.
IP Logged
Henry Giano
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:18pm »

sdf:

I was wondering what TC and AU do you work in? and does your officemate have a law degree or is presently attending law school at the moment?

Ive also heard of the rumor that firms frown upon people applying for a position at the law firm having over 2 years experience at the USPTO as an examiner.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »