The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:32am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Accreditation of college and comp sci degree
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Accreditation of college and comp sci degree  (Read 521 times)
Estella Estella
Accreditation of college and comp sci degree
« on: Mar 11th, 2007, 1:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a question regarding obtaining an agent no. and taking the patent bar w/o going to law school. My question is:

I know that people that have obtained a computer science degree and is applying for the patent bar must have a computer science degree from an accredited college. To check this accreditation criteria concerning the college you obtained your computer science degree from, to my understaning, you must check the [www].[abet].[org] website.  

I have a computer science degree from the "City University of New York, College of Staten Island" and was wondering if someone can direct me to where I can find it on the [www].[abet].[org] website, or at least verify that my college is listed as an accredited university.

Second, I read someplace that computer science majors must have taken one of physics, chem pr bio courses during their college career in order to be approved for the patent bar exam. My concern is, while persuing my degree in computer science, I substituted all my physics, chem, and bio courses with geology, earth science, and astronomy science classes.

I was wondering, since I substitued all the physic, chem, and bio courses with geology, earth science, and astronomy science courses, does that mean that I will be denied entry in taking the patent bar exam?

Thanks in advance
IP Logged
plex

Re: Accreditation of college and comp sci degree
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2007, 1:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes, your program is accredited, along with Engineering science and Electrical Engineering. You should try applying. It does not list any other requirements beyond the accreditation to qualify as a Category A.

However, when they look at your transcript, they may, its not a definite yes or no, ask that if you wish to take the test, you go back and take X amount of physics/chemistry/biology, since that is the type of curriculum they expect. If that is the case, they will keep your $40 and send back the $200 you sent for the rest of the application cost. It is a bit odd that you were able to completely avoid taking those classes.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2007, 1:35am by plex » IP Logged
Estella Estella
Re: Accreditation of college and comp sci degree
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2007, 9:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks Plex for replying to my posting.

Just wondering, where on the abet website did you go in order to find out that my college is accredited?

Yea, I also thought it was a little weird that my college allowed me to skip all chem/bio/physics classes and take other subtitute courses for them. But at that time, it was a great deal since it took some weight off other tough comp sci and math courses.

What are the chances that USPTO will deny my entry for the exam since I didnt take any chem/physics/bio classes, even though my college is accredited for computer science?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »