The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:39am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Does the school matter?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Does the school matter?  (Read 1760 times)
plex

Re: Does the school matter?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 4:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As he said, a higher tier school helps you get into a biglaw firm.

Keep something in mind though, there are downsides to working at a biglaw firm, its really only designed for one of the many types of IP lawyers, many who go into it decide it is not for them, even if they have all the pre-reqs that are desired.

First, lets define a biglaw firm, it mostly means a firm with 500+ lawyers, and there is only ONE firm in the entire world that works specifically on IP law with that many lawyers, so you will be working within a department in the firm, they won't specialize in IP law.

Biglaw generally pays more than smaller firms, and drastically more than business/government. You do pay for it though, they also have much higher expectations of how time you work in a week, usually something over 80 hours. Biglaw also usually works primarily on litigation, which really has nothing to do with the other major aspects of IP law, you cannot just immediately jump into your own firm with only that experience and be successful, at least not on your own.  

IP lawyer salaries are higher than other types of law, so choose what hours you really want to work, what kind of environment you want to be in (this will vary by firm), and choose what type of IP law you would like to try first. You will make enough money to be comfortable no matter what you do, as long as you have the requirements to break in (big IF, the stiff criteria is why IP law is not easy to enter into without some planning or you happen to be an amazing individual who was lucky enough have picked up the required degrees and/or experience).
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 4:12pm by plex » IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:38pm »

It would be worth thinking about your legal career in a different angle.  

Is your career goal to make money as much as you can?  Is it to enjoy your life with reasonable amount of money? Is it worth aggressively pursuing your legal career?  Do I have personality to fit into corporate legal career, small boutique, or big lawfirms?  

For me, I know exactly what I'd like to have and to be.  Thus I know where I will fit better or not.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Drew83

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 1:11pm »

I understand that going to a top school makes it much easier to get into BIGLAW; however, isnt this only for your first job?  Consider an associate who has worked 3 years in a small/boutique IP firm.  Isn't it going to be relatively easy for the associate to transition to a BIGLAW position??
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »