The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 10:00am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Does the school matter?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Does the school matter?  (Read 1761 times)
Kris
Does the school matter?
« on: Mar 7th, 2007, 1:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a solid Comp. Science background (BS+MS+Work Exp.) and a good GPA. But my lowly LSAT (149) is going to limit my LS options. I am hoping to get into one of the Tier 3 schools.  
If I am able to pass the pat bar by this summer, before I begin LS, will it matter which LS I attend, if I want to secure a Summer Intern and Assoicate position at a BigLaw firm?
IP Logged
scottp

Re: Does the school matter?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 4:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It definitely helps to go to a higher ranked school to get into big law firms.  Otherwise, you will have to be really highly ranked in your class.
IP Logged
Law Student
« Reply #2 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 5:10pm »

You should always try to aim for the highest ranked school you can get into, but if you can't, it may be a good idea to attend a law school that may be lower-ranked but that has a very strong IP/Patent program.

Some schools with very strong Patent programs include: Santa Clara University, Franklin Pierce Law Center, DePaul University, University of Houston, Cardozo-Yeshiva University, a list exists out there on the web.
IP Logged
Lawyer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2007, 4:11pm »

Retake the LSAT.  Your school practically determines whether or not the BIGLAW firm door is open or closed.  You must take a 2 month course and do well on the LSAT.  If you want big law firms to look at you, you need to go to a top tier school.  Remember top tier means the top 100 law schools.  Look them up on US News.

After you are in a top tier school you still have to be at the top 50% of the class.  That is if you want the easy path into  the top law firms.

Trust me I know because I work in a top law firm right now.
IP Logged
actionjackson
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 9:44am »

What are the advantages of going to a BIGLAW firm for patent work instead of a boutique (sp?).  Aren't all patent lawyer salaries higher than other types of lawyer  no matter where you end up?  Don't all patent lawyers work less than other types of lawyers?  Please explain.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »