The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:17am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   moral fitness
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: moral fitness  (Read 1424 times)
biopico

Re: moral fitness
« Reply #5 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 6:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In the application form, here is the statement:  

"Have you ever been arrested, charged, or held by Federal, State or other law enforcement
authorities for any violation of any Federal or State law, or any county or municipal law,
regulation or ordinance? (Do not include any misdemeanor before your 16th birthday or
traffic violations for which the fine was $100 or less.)"

In the application, if you say "Yes" to any question, PTO is likely to look into the matter.

Please note:  your answer must be consistent in your application and during your registration application.  

Since it is a traffic violation and if you have reasonable explanation to why you didn't show up in a court leading to imprisonment for few days, it would be worth applying for the exam.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
guestttttt
« Reply #6 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 7:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

To the OP, I think you are over reacting about this, along with plex.  

The process the PTO goes through is very similar to character and fitness determinations made by state boards of law examiners on applicants to the bar.  The general rule in those situations is that as long as the applicant discloses the issue and does not try to conceal it, they will be fine.  When applicants fail to disclose an event and the bar examiners find out about it on their own, then there is a problem.  Also, convictions for crimes of theft, embezzlement, or felonies will throw a red flag.

You won't be required to pay $1600 to take the patent bar.  Just disclose the arrest like the instructions ask for and you'll be fine.  Most of the people on this board probably didn't have youthful indiscretitions, so that may account for their reactions.  Getting thrown in jail for a few hours won't keep you from being a patent agent/lawyer.  I had somewhat similar issues and disclosed them all in detail and had no problems on character and fitness or from the PTO.
IP Logged
nonunique

« Reply #7 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 7:55am »

After much searching for the right number, I found them very helpful. The answer:

The $1600 is only for felony convictions. Everything else is a normal application fee, a description of the event, and verification that all fines have been paid.

I suppose that is what the documentation says, but I wanted to be sure so that I don't screw it up.

Thanks again.
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #8 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 3:45pm »

Yea, near the upper portion of the application, it refers to felonies and or major crimes involving dishonesty are what qualify you for the $1600 fee, I just punched out a quick answer 5 minutes before I went to work  Tongue. Couldn't get back to the forums until now.
IP Logged
ruben alcoba, esq.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11th, 2007, 7:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

moral fitness, when ever faced with this dilemma and any bar, the simple answer is disclose. If you disclose, you will have shown that you have moral fitness, a lot of people do not understand this and are then barred or placed on probation for failing to disclose.  

you have a traffic violation that you were not probably noticed for, this is not a moral fitness problem so long as you disclose.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »