The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:46am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   moral fitness
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: moral fitness  (Read 1426 times)
nonunique

moral fitness
« on: Mar 6th, 2007, 8:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

How strict is the standard for moral fitness? I spent 4 hours in a Plano jail 4 years ago as a result of a warrant issued for failure to appear on a traffic ticket. The situation has since been resolved. Does that really hurt my chances?

Further, how detailed does my description of that event need to be?

Thanks.
IP Logged
plex

Re: moral fitness
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 9:18pm »

It may require you to pay the $1600 application fee to take the patent bar, instead of the normal $40 fee, since that is what it is there for, I believe the explanation is also required along with the substantially greater fee. Check into it further though, the application does go into detail about the $1600 and who must pay it.

The reason for the fee, is an investigation of good moral character. The fee will be refunded, minus the normal $40 fee, if it is determined that the applicant is ineligible for the exam or the application is incomplete.  

So, if you must pay the higher fee, and you are accepted to the test, they keep the $1600.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2007, 9:27pm by plex » IP Logged
nonunique

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 10:21pm »

Let me clarify that it was a misdemeanor. Does this still rise to the level of that fee?
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #3 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 4:55am »

Probably, it mentions anything greater than a small traffic ticket. You may want to find an information number though and ask, it doesn't go into much more detail than that. It just says charged, not whether you were cleared or are no longer serving time.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2007, 4:57am by plex » IP Logged
LF

« Reply #4 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 6:09am »

In my (albeit short) experience, the help desk at the USPTO is very helpful on most topics.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »