The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 8:42am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   1L Summer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1L Summer  (Read 1655 times)
plex

Re: 1L Summer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 7:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, in my interviews, at medium sized firms, they have told me that my EE GPA, 3.1, is pretty good, and my experience, a bit more than 3 years, is important to them, my only problem is I haven't begun law classes yet to show, as I expect, that I can achieve a good GPA in law school. I can tell it makes them nervous, even though they also expect me to do well, even so, I can tell its a pretty tough decision for them since it isn't a sure thing that I am exactly what they want, just very likely.

I think you may have some major problems getting in a big firm for awhile, but a smaller firm would likely consider you with a good law school GPA and experience.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2007, 7:37pm by plex » IP Logged
hayfieldfarm

« Reply #6 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 7:54pm »

Your "paper" is important because it demonstrates you have brains.  However, another aspect that is important is whether or not you can conduct a fluid conversation without sounding like an a$$.  Keep in mind that many partners will eventually expect you to interact directly with their Clients without looking like an idiot.  I have interviewed quite a few associate candidates, and the concensus is candidates that can maintain an intelligent conversation during an interview will usually receive an offer.  Just because you are the top in your class doesn't always mean you will easily get the job.  Remember, you will eventually want to begin a partner track, but without some personality, you will always remain in the shadows and not out front meeting with Clients.

Just my two cents.
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #7 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 8:40pm »

In terms of showing you can interview well, I found that the more knowledgeable I became about patent law, the easier it was to interview. It allows you to ask questions that make the interviewer feel like they can connect with you. They may also have someone with your related UG degree speak with you to see if you can get into a conversation with them.

Interviewing is also experience dependent :p, the more times you do it, the easier it gets. My first engineering interview and my first law firm interview were both times when I was extremely nervous, and probably didn't present myself nearly as well as I would have liked. Any knowledge you gain, that gives you more confidence in your ability to carry a conversation with your interviewers, is a good thing.
IP Logged
EEPatent_Wannabe

« Reply #8 on: Mar 3rd, 2007, 5:49pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2007, 7:54pm, hayfieldfarm wrote:
Your "paper" is important because it demonstrates you have brains.  However, another aspect that is important is whether or not you can conduct a fluid conversation without sounding like an a$$.  

I've always been told I interview well, so I don't think I'll have that problem.  I'm good at making conversation with just about anybody and in not sounding like an a$$.

What about this summer?  Should I be an RA, take an EE class, or just take the summer off (besides the engineering job)?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »