The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:13am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Biology PhD needs advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Biology PhD needs advice  (Read 729 times)
Biochemist

Biology PhD needs advice
« on: Feb 28th, 2007, 12:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

I am a PhD working in a biotech company but considering becoming a patent agent. A couple of questions for all the experts here:

How is the market for patent agents with life science backgrounds (biochemistry, molecular biology etc.)?

Would it be beneficial to pass the patent bar exam before sending out the resume, or is it ok to apply as a technical advisor first and then take the exam while already working as a tech advisor?
IP Logged
forest

Re: Biology PhD needs advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 12:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If you can, I'd advise you to try and pass the patent bar while still at your current position, and then try to get a job as a patent agent/scientific advisor. I think you'll be much more marketable that way.  

Of course, I only speak from my experiences in trying to get a tech spec job right out of grad school (we have similar PhDs).

I'm now going straight to law school and trying to line up a tech spec/ sci advisor job during the days while taking night classes.

Good luck.
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
Fred Friendly
Re: Biology PhD needs advice
« Reply #2 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 2:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I did the tech spec from a professor position, it worked for me while I went to law school at night.  The market is pretty good, but very competitive as lots of PhD's in biology disciplines are out there.  

Start applying and you might get lucky with the tech spec route, but start studying and pass the bar and that will increase your chances.  The first job will be the hardest to find, but after that the career path looks pretty good.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »