The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:48am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Experience necessary
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Experience necessary  (Read 1811 times)
Chuck
Experience necessary
« on: Feb 21st, 2007, 11:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I graduated with a EE degree but my work experience does not utilize my technical background. I plan on going to law school for patent law. Will the lack of engineering work experience affect my chances of working in this field?
IP Logged
plex

Re: Experience necessary
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 5:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

They like to see it, but it is not necessary if you have a strong academic background that doesn't need support. They care more about what schools, both engineering and law, you went too and how well you did there. That means they like you to have a term of law school done so they can see how you do handling law classes.
IP Logged
Chuck
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, I graduated from UT Austin with a 3.0 in EE. I plan on taking the USPTO exam prior to starting law school. If I do welll (top 25%) during my1L, will that be sufficient?
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:58pm »

Yea, that should do it, I cannot say whether it will be easy or hard, but with that you will at least be able to find an externship somewhere, as long as you put some effort into it finding a firm. If it just isn't working out in your area, try and get a job at the USPTO to build experience, though you really don't want to tell them that you are only interested in something short term.

Keep in mind when applying to law schools, they don't, even though they should, give much weight to what sort of degree someone had when considering GPA's, so where you go is going to mostly rely on how well you do on the LSAT, that may not even matter telling you now though, if you are planning on starting this fall you'll already have taken it and applied or are about to apply by now. Firms do heavily weight GPA's though, they won't even look at a 4.0 undergrad liberal arts degree, unless the person also has doctorate in something technically related (I doubt they could easily do that though, at least the engineering ones require certain engineering undergrad courses) or some really applicable experience.

Checked some figures for how many IP attorneys in my state and actual lawyers, only about 5% or less of lawyers even become IP lawyers, simply because there is a major barrier for anyone who doesn't have a technical degree.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2007, 8:12pm by plex » IP Logged
jamestyler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 8:23pm »

on Feb 21st, 2007, 11:44pm, Chuck wrote:
I graduated with a EE degree but my work experience does not utilize my technical background. I plan on going to law school for patent law. Will the lack of engineering work experience affect my chances of working in this field?

Have you passed the patent bar?  Study up, earn that reg number, and you'll definitely have a stronger resume.  Not that EE's are a dime a dozen now... but I sense that the market for EE's remains strong... but may be leveling off.  

Any sort of work you can get during school (law type internships) would also help your job prospects.  

When you say top 25% at your law school, do you have any particular schools in mind?  Top 25% means different things at different schools.  Job prospects also depend on the legal market where you go to school.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »