The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 10:08am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Considering a career in patent law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Considering a career in patent law  (Read 3769 times)
Srac

Re: Considering a career in patent law
« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 7:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

LJP, I really liked the article you referred to. It has lots of twists and turns, but overall it gave me a pretty good picture on IP law in action. It made me think about my situation -my supervisor planning to leave me out of the patent, that is based on three years of my work- but after all I came to the conclusion that as a grad student I am very vulnerable. I believe that my supervisor has a strong hold on my career and I am deeply concerned about that.  
I was also wondering if you know anyone who went down this patent examiner road in Canada. I would be interested to learn more about it. Like, what qualities should someone have in order to land a job with the Canadian Patent Office and to be successful as a patent examiner? How competitive is to get a job with them? What direction can this take someone, in other words what doors could a position like this open? I read pretty much everything on their website, but I found the information very general, lacking the insight I am looking for.  
Point taken from “Biopico”, especially with my supervisor,
Cheers
Gabor

IP Logged
LJP

« Reply #6 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 6:12am »

on Mar 8th, 2007, 7:44pm, Srac wrote:

I was also wondering if you know anyone who went down this patent examiner road in Canada. I would be interested to learn more about it. Like, what qualities should someone have in order to land a job with the Canadian Patent Office and to be successful as a patent examiner? How competitive is to get a job with them? What direction can this take someone, in other words what doors could a position like this open? I read pretty much everything on their website, but I found the information very general, lacking the insight I am looking for.  

I am an examiner.

Check out  
http://www.intelproplaw.com/Forum/Forum.cgi?board=patent_career;action=d isplay;num=1165342056
If you have further questions then post them.
IP Logged
Srac

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 12:55pm »

In one of your replies on the forum you gave me the link to, you said that one has to be a Canadian citizen in order to apply for the patent examiner position. Is this written in stone, or permanent residents are eligible to apply as well?

IP Logged
asdfg

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11th, 2007, 10:22pm »

I have a Ph.D in materials science and Physics  and preparing to take the patent bar exam - 2nd attempt. I am presently not working.  Can I   get a  job once I pass the exam or should I wait to complete registration which I think is about 8 weeks.  

Thanks.
IP Logged
LJP

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12th, 2007, 5:08am »

on Mar 10th, 2007, 12:55pm, Srac wrote:
In one of your replies on the forum you gave me the link to, you said that one has to be a Canadian citizen in order to apply for the patent examiner position. Is this written in stone, or permanent residents are eligible to apply as well?

I don't know if it is written in stone. A friend of mine (PhD) applied a couple of years ago and was not called in to write the test, which was strange. I asked my boss why he was excluded. He told me that he didn't even see his resume and that it was probably excluded because he didn't have his citizenship (he had his landed status).

This is from CIPO's site.

"Citizenship:
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit."

This from The Public Service Commission of Canada

"While the Public Service Employment Act does not exclude non- Canadians from applying to positions in the federal public service, it clearly specifies that preference for appointment is to be given in the following order:

Person who is in receipt of a pension by reason of war service  
Survivor of a war veteran  
Canadian citizen  
Other qualified individuals "

He may have been excluded because they obtained a large number of resumes.  

I know in the last couple of rounds of hiring they have not been able to meet their hiring goals so you might have a chance.

Apply and see what happens.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »