The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:30am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Considering a career in patent law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Considering a career in patent law  (Read 3768 times)
LJP

Re: Considering a career in patent law
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12th, 2007, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 11th, 2007, 10:22pm, asdfg wrote:
I have a Ph.D in materials science and Physics  and preparing to take the patent bar exam - 2nd attempt. I am presently not working.  Can I   get a  job once I pass the exam or should I wait to complete registration which I think is about 8 weeks.  

Thanks.

We're discussing Canadian patent Examiner position with a background in Chemistry

You appear to be asking about American patent Agent positions in physics. You might have more luck checking other threads or posting your own thread.

Sorry but can't offer more help.
IP Logged
Srac

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12th, 2007, 9:51pm »

LJP, thanks for the info. You gave me a good insight on the topic. As I said earlier, I am about a good year and a half away from graduating. So I will be applying probably next year if they have openings.  

There is something else I would like to ask you about - and perhaps anyone else out there with IP experience-. My native language is not English. Although I lived and got educated in North America from age sixteen, I do not speak or write as a native.  Let me clarify this. I do not have a problem expressing myself in English and throughout college and in graduate school it seemed to me that I write well and clear, but the truth to be told, it can be spotted in my wordings, perhaps in my grammar that English is my second language. Will this hinder me in this field? In other words, will I be disadvantaged because I am not a native speaker / writer?    
IP Logged
LJP

« Reply #12 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 5:10am »

on Mar 12th, 2007, 9:51pm, Srac wrote:
LJP, thanks for the info. You gave me a good insight on the topic. As I said earlier, I am about a good year and a half away from graduating. So I will be applying probably next year if they have openings.  

There is something else I would like to ask you about - and perhaps anyone else out there with IP experience-. My native language is not English. Although I lived and got educated in North America from age sixteen, I do not speak or write as a native.  Let me clarify this. I do not have a problem expressing myself in English and throughout college and in graduate school it seemed to me that I write well and clear, but the truth to be told, it can be spotted in my wordings, perhaps in my grammar that English is my second language. Will this hinder me in this field? In other words, will I be disadvantaged because I am not a native speaker / writer?    

Language shouldn't be a problem.  

Also, keep in mind if you plan to apply to CIPO apply 6 months before you hope to start. It is government and therefore a long process. For me it was close to one year from application to start date.
IP Logged
Srac

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19th, 2007, 5:47pm »

LJP, thanks for the info. You have been very helpful. As I see it now, I will give a shot next year, and apply. Cheers
Gabor
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »