The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 7:15am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Working at the PTO as a back up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Working at the PTO as a back up  (Read 1585 times)
JAYC
Working at the PTO as a back up
« on: Feb 19th, 2007, 8:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Question for anyone:

Lets say I go through 3 years of law school, have an engineering degree, but am unable to find a job at a patent boutique or a law firm's patent department after graduation.  

As a back up, is it always possible to go to the USPTO after law school for a few years, then use that experience to leverage myself into a firm that does patent prosecution?

Thanks!
IP Logged
JAYC
Re: Working at the PTO as a back up
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 8:53pm »

Also keep in mind, I don't care about making 50-60k at the PTO for a few years, if it will open up doors to law firms in the future.

Thanks!
IP Logged
forest

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 9:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I certainly don't have the experience/knowledge as many others here, but I think others have mentioned here that the PTO is often reluctant to higher lawyers as examiners, knowing that they'll flee to greener pastures much sooner than later.
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
newguest
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 7:37am »

Forest -  

That isn't true from my experience.  

My undergrad is in engineering.  I went to a regional law school, and wasn't able to find anything in patent law after graduation at a big firm or a boutique.  So I went to the patent office.  The SPE who interviewed me actually thought the JD was a real plus.  Other SPEs may view it differently.  

Like the original poster, I'd thought of the patent office as a backup as well.  While I may not be making $110k like a few of my classmates, I'm doing alright.

IP Logged
forest

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 8:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

perhaps I was thinking more that they don't want you in law school while working (at least right away). Like I said- I know little about the PTO in terms of hiring practice.
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »