The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 10:48am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Master of IP?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Master of IP?  (Read 3432 times)
consideringIP

Re: Master of IP?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 8:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for the input, everyone! I guess maybe the MIP isn't the right direction to take. I just feel like I'm at a disadvantage in applying to law school since engineers have lower undergrad GPAs compared to liberal arts students. It's not really a fair comparison. I'll just have to nail the LSAT.
IP Logged
forest

« Reply #6 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 8:40pm »

I feel you on that. Although not an engineer, I took a full pre-med regimen. Ended up with about a 3.5, but could've easily got a 3.8+ with another major. Such is life. Do well on the LSAT and you'll be fine. Get some experience if you can...

Good Luck.
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
Wiscagent

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2007, 8:51am »

"Ended up with about a 3.5, but could've easily got a 3.8+ with another major."

I'm a patent agent, but could've easily been a major league baseball player with another body.

Sorry for the wise crack ... I just couldn't resist.  Still, life as a middle infielder ... I could have been another Chuck Knobloch.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
plex

« Reply #8 on: Feb 8th, 2007, 3:57pm »

Pre-med, and engineering, are the hardest paths you can go for undergrad, engineering has varying levels of difficulty, it somewhat depends on the school, but electrical is generally the most difficult.

To law schools, this doesn't matter, they do not modify your GPA in any way based on your undergrad major, from what I have seen at least.

To IP firms, it makes a world of difference, I have heard before on the forums, and had it confirmed through interview experience, that the more difficult to attain degrees are given much more weight than the easier to obtain degrees. Not going to throw out numbers, but I will leave it as, very substantial.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2007, 3:58pm by plex » IP Logged
Lise
« Reply #9 on: Feb 8th, 2007, 5:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for the posts so far. I am actually applying for law school fall 2007. As a dual BS Electrical Engineering BA Russian studies I plowed through 20+ credits a semester, not even thinking that a 3.0 GPA was a bad thing. I just graduated with 3.15 GPA, but this is really hurting me now that I'm applying to law schools. If I'd planned on law school earlier I would have taken it easier as an undergraduate. This post in particular caught my attention as I'm deciding between going to a lesser ranked school (T3) and waiting a year, retaking my LSAT (160) and applying again. Any advice on what to do would be great. Still haven't received any news, be it dings or acceptances from this years apps.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »