The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 7:56am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Summer Associate interview....help me please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Summer Associate interview....help me please  (Read 4230 times)
Jim983
Re: Summer Associate interview....help me please
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2007, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks guys.  The mock interview that I did with my school centered around questions such as, "where do you see yourself in 10 years" or "what if a 2L summer associate was padding their hours, how would you deal with it..."  So I expect questions like these.  But I'm worried at this point about actual engineering questions.  It's been two years since I've thought about circuit design and so forth.  I'm trying to re-learn everything before my interview, but I of course will not have the engineering mindset that I would have coming out of school or working on the job for a while.
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 2:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Jim

I really doubt they will ask you a specific technical question related to engineering or something of that sort. During the law interviews I have had, there haven't been questions anything like that.

However, they may ask you whether you have programming experience, or are at least familiar with programming. I remember that as a question I wish I could have answered with more confident yes, even if I consider my software experience meager compared to my hardware.

Engineering job interviews were obviously an entirely different story, one time I was asked to fill out a quiz of basic engineering questions during an interview. Even so, that was an exception even for the engineering jobs. In most cases they wanted to hear about my past experience, especially in relation to the position they are trying to fill. I have found it much more relaxed during an engineering interview than an interview with a law firm.

My interview is scheduled for Thursday, hopefully it will go well for both of us.

Eric

A summer associate is a position for only the summer, while you are taking classes during the rest of the year. A law clerk at an IP firm, from what I have seen, is essentially the same as an internship, which can be for just the summer, or more often, as a part time position throughout the year. If they were looking for a part time position, they are likely expecting you to go to school part time, in the evenings, and work something like 25-35 hours/week during the day.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2007, 4:18pm by plex » IP Logged
Jim983
« Reply #7 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 1:38pm »

Mine is on Friday.  Let me know how your's goes today and any suggestions.  Thanks.
IP Logged
eric jarsch
« Reply #8 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 9:12am »

Hey guys, good luck with your interviews. Please post how they went. What city are you guys in?
IP Logged
cerass84

« Reply #9 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 6:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hey,
how did your interviews go?
I have an interview (BS EE, 1L)  next Friday in DC and am hoping that your feedback gives me some pointers on what to expect in a summer associateship interview.

Cheers
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »