The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 7:26am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Law School Debt
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Law School Debt  (Read 2456 times)
Drew83

Re: Law School Debt
« Reply #5 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 11:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

anyone care to comment regarding the years experience gained during law school vs having an EE degree?

thanks in advance
IP Logged
LEX

Re: Law School Debt
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 9:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I went to a top tier engineering program and a third tier law school as a night student, worked full time as an engineer through all of Law School, finished third in my class.  I graduated without debt and found a middle pay range job. In patent law the technical degree can offset the Ivy League  branding issues remarkably well.

I would say if you already  have stand alone professional education (BS or MS level Applied Science or Engineering with a PE registration) and go into patent prosecution your technical education is as important as the law schools reputation.  

However, if you are going into the ranks of the general bar, going to a brand name Law School is one of the better ways to market yourself.  The payback "premium" for an Ivy degree is mostly at the front end.  After you have practiced for five plus years no one really cares that much where you went to school, and your repuation as a trial lawyer or other niche is what most determines where your next client comes from.

If a client ever asks you "where did you go to law school?" do not for a minute believe they are impressed with your academic prowess as manifested in your mastery of the law, as that question usually means you have screwed something up BIG TIME, and they are certain you are a complete idiot or otherwise blowing their case.   Shocked
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2007, 9:36pm by LEX » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »