The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:18am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Review my Cover Letter, Please?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Review my Cover Letter, Please?  (Read 10804 times)
PP
Review my Cover Letter, Please?
« on: Jan 10th, 2007, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi guys, I have a cover letter for the USPTO student program... perhaps you can give your opinion on it? I am really determined to get a position, so I need some professional advice from you guys Smiley Please, be harsh, if need be.

Here it is (I have it formatted all nice in a word document, but I'll just paste the important part of the cover letter -- the actual paragraphs). It starts below the dashed lines.

-----------

U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Mail Stop 171
P.O. Box 1450
Alexandria, VA 22313

Dear Student Employment Coordinator:

In response to the available student programs at the USPTO, I would to be considered for a challenging summer position to strengthen my knowledge of the law, the legal system, and most importantly, the patent system.  

I will be graduating in May of 2009 from Binghamton University with a Bachelors of Science in Computer Engineering. I have developed an interest in intellectual property matters, and I would like to utilize my strong technical background to practice patent and trademark law.

While completing my course of study, I have actively explored and acquired the knowledge and skills that are essential in the patent law field. I have read over a dozen books on different aspects of intellectual property law to further my understanding of the patent system, as well as copyright and trademark law.. Furthermore, I strongly believe I possess the investigative, research, and analytical skills to successfully examine patents dealing with software/hardware design, physics, electrical/electronic designs, and biotechnology.

Before applying to law school in a few years, I wish to fine tune my knowledge of the patent system, as well to gain a greater understanding and sense of career focus and special interests in intellectual property law. I believe the invaluable experience that I will receive while being employed at the USPTO will help me accomplish my future career goals.

I have enclosed my resume, and look forward to an opportunity to discuss my candidacy for the position. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

My Name
IP Logged
guest47
Re: Review my Cover Letter, Please?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 8:09am »

on Jan 10th, 2007, 9:46pm, PP wrote:

Before applying to law school in a few years, I wish to fine tune my knowledge of the patent system, as well to gain a greater understanding and sense of career focus and special interests in intellectual property law. I believe the invaluable experience that I will receive while being employed at the USPTO will help me accomplish my future career goals.

It sounds like you're just using USPTO as a stepping stone.  I don't think they'll appreciate that.  Why not further stress what you can do for them, and leave out what will be viewed as your own selfish reasons?

Just a thought.
IP Logged
forest

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 9:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I second what guest47 wrote. You aren't likely to gain substantial legal knowledge from a Summer stint in the PTO, so sell yourself and focus less on how the experience will help your future (b/c the way you laid it out, it won't help theirs). Even if you plan on going to law school directly after your undegrad, sell it like being a patent examiner right out of Binghampton would be a dream come true, even if it is B.S. They'll never know that.

Also, you need to check for typos. First line reads "...I would to be considered..." Missing a word there. Two periods after "copyright and trademark law" in para. three. I saw that from a qucik once over. I am sure you plan on re-reading before sending, but you should be sure to eradicate all of these minor problems before passing it on.  

Good Luck!
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
PP
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 9:40am »

You guys are right, thanks for the help so far. I can understand your viewpoint, I'll change that.

As for the typos, I'll fix them right now.
IP Logged
PP
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 10:38am »

How does that look? I actually was considering going to law school then becoming a patent examiner, though I'm heavily leaning on becoming one right after my BS.

Well, here's my slightly updated CL. I hope I've conveyed it a little better than before.

Please let me know what you think, any opinions would be helpful! Smiley

--

Dear Student Employment Coordinator:

In response to the available student programs at the USPTO, I would like to be considered for a challenging summer position to strengthen my knowledge of copyright, trademark and patent law.

I will be graduating in May of 2009 from Binghamton University with a Bachelors of Science in Computer Engineering. I have developed an interest in intellectual property matters, and I would like to utilize my comprehensive knowledge of engineering design, mathematics, and physics while being employed as a student intern.

During my course of study, I have actively explored and acquired the knowledge and skills that are essential in the patent law field. I have read over a dozen books on different aspects of intellectual property law to further my understanding of the patent system, as well as copyright and trademark law. Furthermore, I strongly believe I possess the investigative, research, and analytical skills to successfully examine patents dealing with software/hardware design, physics, electrical/electronic designs, and biotechnology with the utmost precision.

Additionally, I wish to fine tune my knowledge of the patent system for the patent bar exam, as well to gain a greater understanding and sense of career focus as a patent examiner. My experiences, exceptional skill base, and enthusiasm has prepared me to meet the demands the USPTO has to offer, and I am anxious to apply my strengths and talents. I strongly believe I can offer excellent judgment in the patent decision process, while providing a sound sense of dedication, passion, and preciseness.

I have enclosed my resume, and look forward to an opportunity to discuss my candidacy for the position. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »