The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:14am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Sophmore CE Major -> Summer Prog at USPTO?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sophmore CE Major -> Summer Prog at USPTO?  (Read 1109 times)
PRP10

Sophmore CE Major -> Summer Prog at USPTO?
« on: Dec 24th, 2006, 10:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I was on the USPTO Student Programs website and found some of the programs they had to be interesting: http://www.usptocareers.gov/stuprog.asp

If you could answer some or all of my questions, that would be great and definitely appreciated!

----------------------------------------------

Now, I'm only a sophmore computer engineering major with a 3.1 GPA, extensive leadership experience with IEEE (VP) and Computer Society (Pres) within our organizations for EE/CEs, on a few student advisory boards for the EE/CE dept, and the "Electronics Communications Chair" of the regional IEEE section (basically web-design stuff...).

I've also had a >summer job< as a PC Technician. In addition, I worked as an IT analyst (when I was 14) at a foreign organization, mostly doing documentation, administering C/C++ workshops, establishing a helpdesk department for a certain branch of the office.

Now, let's say you are the person looking at my resume. Would that appeal to you, in a sense of considering me for the programs listed? Yeah, I know my GPA isn't stellar, but it was mainly the 1st semester of the 1st year that brought me down. I've got all A's this semester (Fall 2006) and mostly A's and B+'s in the previous year (1st year, spring 2006 semester).

I really hope the rest (extra-activities) will compensate for my 3.1 GPA.

Another question:

Would it be advisable to start to buckle down now (during my winter break) and try to pass the patent exam? If so, what are some good resources?

I also have read dozens of books on a wide variety of IP law subjects, but also books that deal specifically with technological transformation throughout the world. Is there anyway I can mention this somehow so the person reviewing my resume/cover letter/transcript will know that I have an actual interest in the field and I'm not just some student trying to get whatever experience I can. In a sense I am, but I'm dedicated, I would say.

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2006, 10:02pm by PRP10 » IP Logged
SoCal11
Re: Sophmore CE Major -> Summer Prog at USPTO?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 12:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Good questions... im also in your position, kind of. Can anyone answer them?
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 4:02pm »

"Would it be advisable to start to buckle down now (during my winter break) and try to pass the patent exam? If so, what are some good resources?"

Most likely college sophmores and juniors would not be eligible to take the patent bar exam.

I cannot answer your other questions.  Why not call the person listed on the web page?

"If you'd like additional information, please contact Colette Stallings in the Office of Human Resources at (571) 272-6257, ..."
IP Logged

Isaac
PRP10

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 8:04am »

I called and left a message two days ago. No response.
IP Logged
mk1023

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 8:14pm »

on Jan 12th, 2007, 8:04am, PRP10 wrote:
I called and left a message two days ago. No response.

I have sent emails to a couple people in HR and did not get a response. It would not surprise me if they also did not return phone calls. I heard they're moving offices right now so that might be part of the problem. Keep calling until you can get someone on the line.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2007, 8:15pm by mk1023 » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »