The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 2:16am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   When should I take the Patent Bar?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: When should I take the Patent Bar?  (Read 1821 times)
Candice Hebden
When should I take the Patent Bar?
« on: Dec 19th, 2006, 10:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm a computer science graduate (with a BSE) and I've worked in industry for a few years.  I will be attending law school next year (already accepted with scholarships!!!) and I'm beginning to think about taking the patent bar.

Should I try to take it before starting law school (so it doesn't interfere with my studies)?  Or should I wait until I have one year of law school under my belt (to ease studying for the patent bar)?

Also, if anyone knows of a good way to begin studying for the exam, I would appreciate any input.  I have looked at the manual available on the uspto website and it seems to me there must be a more efficient way to begin studying.

I welcome any advice and thank you for your time.
IP Logged
plex

Re: When should I take the Patent Bar?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 2:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm a recent BSEE grad, but I've done a good amount of research, so I think I can answer your question pretty well.

2nd year of school isn't going to be much better than 1st year, 1st year is said to be confusing and really stressful, but it is also said that 2nd year is a ton of work, probably not as stressful, but I imagine your time will not be very open either. You should take this opportunity to get this out of the way, and also make yourself more marketable to a firm, if you've got the chance, for some, there just isn't time for them to get the exam out of the way before school starts.

Personally, I need some solid materials to study from when studying for a major test like the patent bar, I found doing the same thing on the LSAT was essential for me. I did not necessarily need a classroom, but I did need a planned guide for me to follow so I would not get stuck studying unnecessary sections. From what I have also read, identify some questions that have been showing up in the past year, make a list from the board, know where to find the answers to them. Also, know the 2002-2003 tests cold, since there will be some re-used questions and you will be able to answer them almost without even looking.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2006, 3:38pm by plex » IP Logged
dsnutter

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 11:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am in the same boat as you Candice. I will be finishing up my BS and hoping to go to law school fall 07. I think I am going to try to take the patent bar during the summer. I will be working full time, but I will try to make it work.

I am stil trying to decide which types of materials to use to actually pass the thing. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2006, 11:47am by dsnutter » IP Logged
Zinger
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 12:29pm »

Passing the patent bar is no easy task with zero experience in the field.  You'll need to get your hands on some good prep material which can be expensive.  Prepare and prep for the patent bar before or after law school.  Preferably before as that will help you out during OCI, but don't fret about it if you don't take it until after you graduate.
IP Logged
SoCalAttny
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21st, 2006, 2:26pm »

The patent bar prep material is substantially different from that of law school course material. The patent bar exam is multiple choice via a computer and the bar exam (California) is written essay, practical written and multistate MBE, again not the same.  

Study for the PTO exam prior to law school or after law school as suggested in a previous post.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »