The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 8:58am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Going into college next year...steer me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Going into college next year...steer me  (Read 2505 times)
Wiscagent

Re: Going into college next year...steer me
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 2:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I discourage anyone from looking at their undergraduate education as being "pre-law;" or pre-med, or pre-anything else, for that matter.  Many things can occur between your second or third year as an undergraduate that would prevent you from going on to a graduate or professional school.  

Since you "dont actually want to be an engineer," don't study engineering.  You're interested in becoming a patent attorney ... that's fine; just take the right science courses as an undergraduate to qualify to take the patent bar.  But focus on art, or literature, or computer stuff, or philosophy, or whatever you are good at, interested in, and enjoy.

I disagree that because electrical engineering and computer stuff might be "hot" today that you should focus your studies in that direction.  In five or ten or twenty years the "hot" area will be something different.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Needadvice
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 3:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

yes its ABET accredited and around here in the northeast swarthmore is known overall to be up there with princeton etc in terms of reputation.  

I have a general idea of what a patent attorney does but i wish i could learn more. I dont want to get an engineering degree only to be a patent attorney though, i want to get it becasue i enjoy that subject matter and it can branch off into so many different arewas. Its just that right now patent attorney seems like a very good career option. The reason i was looking at a double majoy or something is because if im gonna be taking other classes than engineering, i was wondering if any specific area would supplement my skills as a patent attorney. Either that or minoring, i have much insterest in astronomy/physics, chemisty, and history.
IP Logged
Zinger
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 4:39pm »

No offense intended when I asked if it was ABET accredited.  I understand Swarthmore is a good school.  It was more a question of whether or not general engineering degrees are accredited by ABET.  Hell, Harvard's Comp Sci program is not accredited if I remember correctly.

Anyway, you're young.  Expose yourself to as many things as possible.  Why don't you email some patent attorney's or agents in your area (maybe some Swarthmore alumni) and tell them of your situation and establish some dialog.  If you get good feedback, ask one of them if they would be willing to spend a half hour with you so they could discuss some basics of patents and patent law with you.  Most people are very approachable.  I used a similar approach when entering the field.
IP Logged
Needadvice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 12:53pm »

alright thanks. i didnt mean to sound arrogant when i was talking about ABET. some people dont know the school so just setting up the environment Smiley

I live in a small town but im kinda close to philadelphia. Do you think a patent attorney would mind if some random kid just sent them an email?
IP Logged
Lex

« Reply #9 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 2:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I want to a decent state school engineering program, payed my way, no debt.  Going to an expensive Ivy school in engineering is not necessary!  The key is working in your talent range and making the grades.  Look at the patent bar, most went to a public college and decent JD program, but Patent Law is results driven.  Three years out no one asks you where you went to school unless they are wondering if you know what you are doing or not.  IVY credentials are trumped by practical day to day performance all things being equal.  my advise is to find a decent program, take lots of physics and chemistry, since most arts cross into these areas, and graduate without debt.  Save the money for later in life.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2006, 2:32pm by Lex » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »