The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 4:07am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Getting into the biz, etc.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Getting into the biz, etc.  (Read 1022 times)
dcherson

Email

Getting into the biz, etc.
« on: Nov 16th, 2006, 7:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,
I am sort of a newbie to the patent agent "concept" and am interested in pursuing this for a new direction.  I have a background in the technology industry, in the product development space and product lifecycle management.  I also have had some experience with IP issues when with IBM.

I have thought that perhaps the way to go about this is would be to take some paralegal studies and of course network.  

But I would like some advice as to the path to the patent bar exam (what is MPEP?), how to prepare, etc.  And can an individual actually start working as an "associate" prior to taking the exam?

Thanks,
David
IP Logged
Jonathan

Re: Getting into the biz, etc.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16th, 2006, 1:38pm »

In my opinion, pursuing paralegal studies is a waste of time if  your ultimate goal is to become a patent agent. There is nothing wrong with being a paralegal but you don't study nursing if your real goal is to become a doctor. But if you just want to explore the IP world before you decide your career route then I have no problem with it. Be sure to get into some sort of IP-focused program, though.  

Otherwise, start looking at the requirements to take the patent bar exam and start studying for it:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/oed/grb15nov05.pdf

Main link to the Office of Enrollment & Discipline:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/gcounsel/oed.htm

MPEP stands for Manual of Patent Examination and Procedure and it is basically a book detailing how to file and prosecute patent applications. It doesn't teach how to write patent applications, though. That you learn on the job.

I think you already found the thread on taking / preparing for the test:
http://www.intelproplaw.com/Forum/Forum.cgi?board=patent_agents;action=d isplay;num=1092518685;start=1417#1417
IP Logged
dcherson

Email

Re: Getting into the biz, etc.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 7:41am »

Ahhh a breath of clarity... lol.  Thanks very much for your reply I appreciate it.

Well lets just say the paralegal studies is just testing the waters in general, remember I am coming in from left field as concerns the legal profession, so I need to educate myself with basic concepts, etc.  And I'd like to keep my options open.  Patent Agent may be appealing and logical for someone like myself, but there are no guarantees in life (and I think I've had first hand lessons in that respect).

Re: being a "nurse" as opposed to being a "doctor" -- As I stated this is not about being a lawyer, not in the least.  I am going to be 58 next week and that presents a challenge in the market in and of itself.  If I was to go to law school I'd be in my '60's upon graduation.  Not what I want.

This is about securing a good "dayjob" that is still somewhat in my ballpark and I can enjoy and actually make a living from.  I've seen the $150 per hr bill rate discussed here, but believe me I'd settle for a third of that, which is around what I would bill for my techie implementation work anyways.

Thanks for the pointers I will check them out today.

/d
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »