The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:31am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   2nd undergrad to become a patent agent?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2nd undergrad to become a patent agent?  (Read 941 times)
TPSReports

2nd undergrad to become a patent agent?
« on: Nov 16th, 2006, 6:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

I was hoping for some advice or thoughts on my current situation.  I have been working in a Japanese patent firm for the last couple of years translating patents for filing, Office Actions, and so on, primarily in the electronics and communications fields.  I am interested in becoming a patent agent as it would open up many career opportunities for me outside of translation.  The only problem is that outside of the experience I have gained within the office, I lack the technical background which the USPTO requires for one to sit the patent bar.

My question is:  is my only feasible plan of action to head back and do a second undergrad in sciences?  (My first degree is in Japanese Language and Literature, hehe).  I suppose I could do the coursework for a B or C track applicant, but it would be pretty awful to do a load of courses and have them rejected by the PTO.  Anyway, any advice or thoughts you could offer on the road to becoming an agent for someone in a situation such as my own would be greatly appreciated.
IP Logged
Alun Palmer
Re: 2nd undergrad to become a patent agent?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2006, 2:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

There is one other way, and that is to pass the FE test. That stands for Fundamentals of Engineering and is set by each state. I understand that some states require that you be an engineering grad or an engineering student to take it, but that anyone can take it in Michigan, for example. Pass that and you are eligible to take the Patent Bar.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: 2nd undergrad to become a patent agent?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 5:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Regardless of the USPTO requirements, Iíd be concerned about a patent agent without a technical degree.  A B.S. in science or engineering shows some level of technical ability and understanding; at least that would be the perception of a potential employer or client.  (Okay Ö stop laughing ... we all went to school with that guy who didnít understand 8th grade algebra, but somehow got a college degree.)   It would be an uphill battle to get a job without a technical degree.

Another approach rather than Alunís suggestion, would be to look into the minimum requirements to get a technical B.S. degree.  Are there schools in your area, or for that matter on the internet, that would allow you to get a B.S. relatively quickly, easily, and inexpensively?  To satisfy the USPTO requirements, you need not graduate from Cal Tech or MIT; Fredís diploma mill and bait station, might be good enough.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »