The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 8:53am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   interview assistance
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: interview assistance  (Read 5510 times)
forest

Re: interview assistance
« Reply #5 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 7:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Morfer:

I sent out a lot of cold resumes to firms that indicated they had tech spec programs or something of the like. I had little success from that. The interviews I have gotten have been from firms with specific advertisements for positions. You can search places like Hotjobs for these, or another good one for scientists is sciencecareers.org.  

I am taking the LSAT this Sat, and will likely be finished with my doctoral studies by Feb/March. Between then, I will be applying to law schools.  

Once this is in the works, I intend on sending out more cold resumes as well as trying to establish some contacts with higher-ups in the firms that might have more influence than those that receive and process resumes on a daily basis.  

I think (hope) that showing a greater dedication to law will help the process (but really, what do I know). At the worst, I might be able to establish some connections that will eventually allow me to get a Summer assoc. job after the 1st year of school. It's all about getting that foot in the door then eventually squeezing the rest of your body in.

The insight of any others with ideas/perspectives on this would be great!

Good luck!

Forest
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
Morfer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 4:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It is difficult to speak directly to the partners in the firms, because they are very busy and their assistants usually re-direct the phone call back to HR.  I have not had very good luck in establishing contact with the high-ups who make the hiring decision.  

I am thinking about using a recruiter.  Does anyone know of any good recruiter?  or is there any pitfalls that we need to be aware when using a recruiter?  Thanks.
IP Logged
smgsmc

« Reply #7 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 1st, 2006, 4:00pm, Morfer wrote:

I am thinking about using a recruiter.  Does anyone know of any good recruiter?  or is there any pitfalls that we need to be aware when using a recruiter?  Thanks.  

It's a moot point.  The chances of a recruiter taking on an agent with no experience (I assume you fall into that category) is practically nil since the chances of a firm hiring an agent with no experience is practically nil...as reported by others on this board.  After I passed the exam, I got brochures from 5 or so recruitment firms.  Once I told them that I had no experience, it was...oh, well.  Words of advice from a friendly recruiter I talked to:  Don't use a recruiter.  The hiring firm has to pay the recruiter a commission.  They aren't going to pay for the privilege of hiring someone with no experience.  On the other hand, you may luck out on your own.
IP Logged
Morfer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 4th, 2006, 10:27am »

Thanks for your pointers, smgsmc.  It makes very good sense.  I guess we are on our own for our first job.
IP Logged
unbody
« Reply #9 on: Dec 5th, 2006, 11:35am »

I recommend talking to any and all recruiters available if you're looking for a job. I've never landed a position through a recruiter but I know of no real pitfalls. When I've been on the job warpath, I find any attention from people related to job placement to be a boost to my morale. Some recruiters are knowledgeable about patent work, some are not. If you're currently unemployed ... maybe your time is plentiful. Recruiters will ask you questions and you'll get real-time interview practice. They typically hold your files for years. I've gotten calls recently from recruiters who couldn't help me five years ago ... but now they have info about jobs that might interest me were I willing to relocate.

Under concern that a recruiter's fee might exert down-pressure on my candidacy, I've told recruiters that certain areas of the country ... like my own regional backyard ... are mine without their help. That way, they're not out there looking for contacts that I would likely find without a recruiter.

Finally, something I've recently come to appreciate about recruiters:
If a recruiter's help is solicited by an employer, the employer is serious about filling a position. I've had several interviews in the last year with employers in my region who had no positions to fill. Some employers check the talent waters when they are shocked by the bills they receive from law firms. They rattle their sabers, interview a few folks, tell their current law firm to lower fees, and enter into a negotiation trying to get leverage with the availability of qualified people and the threat of building an in-house practice. I know this to have happened in relation to at least one, and I suspect two, job openings posted on this website in my region in the last year. Sometimes job openings are posted on websites merely to satisfy corporate publication policies when a job is already quietly filled by a candidate hand-picked before any publication. The respondents in such situations may be wasting their times. Sometimes apparent job openings are only mirages. Posting job openings on this website and others is dirt cheap. Getting a recruiter involved smells like serious business to me.

There, that's my rant about recruiters ... an no ... I'm not a recuiter and have no vested interest in their successes.

Are you on your own looking for your first job?
Ok ... yeah ... you are ... that's hard to refute.

But, firms (more so than in-house practices like big corporations) DO hire people with NO experience. We all got our first experience somewhere. The last quarter of the year is often a bit dry for hiring. Maybe your luck will change next quarter once employers' plans for 2007 are established and in play.

Well everybody's got some view points ... above are some of mine.

Good Luck to all you job seekers!
Keep fighting the good fight and you will win the race.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »