The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 8:58am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Help! college student needs adive to become p.l
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help! college student needs adive to become p.l  (Read 2797 times)
katie
Re: Help! college student needs adive to become p.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16th, 2006, 8:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for Forest's support. I wrote last post in a big hurry and sorry to offend BS student who wants to get into patent law. It is difficult for a BS to draft a complicated biotechnology patent. Even for a PhD who has left bench too long, you will have to constantly follow up the trends in the area just because it is such an exploding discipline. But getting into litigation may be a good course for someone who has some science background and also has a law degree under your arm.
IP Logged
jipper

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 12:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been lurking aroud this forum fora while.  It has turned into joke, or at least that is the intention of "disagree". I am about to finish up my PhD in pharmacology after getting a BS in biochemistry.  To say a PhD doesn't offer anything is just flat out stupid.  I learned more my first year of grad school than in four years as an undergraduate.  

Undergrad degrees in science teach you textbook information.  Graduate school gives you real world experience and the ability to independently solve problems, as well as expanding you understanding of different scientific fields (i.e. biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics).  Sure, you can have a BS in science, go to law school, and become a patent attorney, but don't cry when people with PhD's are offered the job well before you are.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #12 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 5:28pm »

Too bad you had an inferior undergraduate education, Linus83.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
disagree
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15th, 2006, 5:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Pure garbage.   I did not say it does not offer you anything.  I am just indicating that you learn problem solving in law school and analytical thinking.   When it comes to the science, there is nothing new, it is the ability to understand what is going on.   I think a BS can do that as well as a PhD.  It is just my opinion.  
IP Logged
jipper

« Reply #14 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 10:34am »

You're right, it is the ability to understand what's going on.  The problem is, there is a big difference between knowing how things work and reading about how things work.  You may think this will have no bearing on your ability to as a patent lawyer, but clients will see through the BS if you don't have any experience or are simply restating something you've read.

To say there is nothing new to learn or that you can just "look it up" is misleading.  Things in textbooks are there because they have become precedent over the years.  If you are working to patent textbooks, then you are correct.  Only having hands on experience with problem solving, know the limitations of certain technologies and what their pitfalls are, being able to adapt to changing scenarios, will make you a sucessful scientist.  These are things you learn with an advanced degree but only read about as an undergrad.  I learned a little of this as a research tech as an undergrad, but not enough to where i would call myself an expert.   If there was "nothing new" in science, there would be no reason to patent anything.  

Also just my opinion.

But, when it comes to hiring new associates to work in IP, a PhD obviously holds much more weight than a BS or BA, and that is not an opinion.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2006, 10:35am by jipper » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »