The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 4:09am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Management information systems degree
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Management information systems degree  (Read 1738 times)
Matt25
Management information systems degree
« on: Nov 6th, 2006, 2:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

After wading through pages and pages of this forum and glancing over the USPatent pdf file, I appear to have found an answer to my question about my Bachelor's in MIS.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but apparently this cannot qualify as a requisite background degree so I can take the Patent exam.

So my question is this, do I have ANY alternatives other than getting an additional bachelors that I could possibly do to become a patent attorney?  I am currently in my 2nd year of law school and I really feel like w/o intellectual property as an option I have very little interest in any other fields... atleast in comparison to my interest for patent/IP topics.

Any other advice whatsoever would be appreciated and thanks for taking time to respond. Huh
IP Logged
Jonathan

Re: Management information systems degree
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 2:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Did you comb over the Category B requirements? If you don't have enough of the required coursework to qualify under Category B, you could start taking those required classes.

Another option is Category C / pass the Fundamentals of Engineering test.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 3:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 6th, 2006, 2:14pm, Matt25 wrote:
After wading through pages and pages of this forum and glancing over the USPatent pdf file, I appear to have found an answer to my question about my Bachelor's in MIS.  Please correct me if I'm wrong but apparently this cannot qualify as a requisite background degree so I can take the Patent exam.

In addition to looking at options for meeting the PTO registration requirements you might also want to consider IP work other than patent prosecution.   For example patent litigation work does not require a PTO registration.

IP Logged

Isaac
Matt25
« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 9:39am »

Thanx for the quick responses... What's the scoop on the fundamentals of engineering test?  Are there any good books/prep guides for that so I would even know what to expect if I took it?

As far as the Part B criteria goes, i dont think I qualify... certainly didn't take that much chemistry and I never took physics either Sad  I still think its crazy they don't recognize MIS... we code and look nerdy too! Wink
IP Logged
Matt25
« Reply #4 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 9:41am »

Isaac:  Do you have a link to info on what you can do if not patent certified like you were mentioning?  Sorry I'm so naive on this subject, I'm in the middle of law school and this reality just suddenly struck me  Embarassed   Thanks again!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »