The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 1:14am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Should I stay @ PTO?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Should I stay @ PTO?  (Read 2597 times)
somerandomguy
Should I stay @ PTO?
« on: Oct 27th, 2006, 9:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I need to get a real grip on what I may make after graduating from LS.  

Currently, I work @ the PTO and they are paying for school.  I have BSEE degree

I'm under the impression that I'll make between $120-150K out of school as a patent attny.  

But, how much am I going to have to work for that?  In a year or so, I'll be a primary examiner and make $100K, get 4 weeks vacation, 3 weeks sick time, and a VERY laid back work env.  I could work at home completely, work at home part of the time, or even just do OT at home.  The PTO offers that I can work up to 50 hours paid OT every two weeks.  So, I could bump my salary to $120K really easy with a little more work.  I'd be looking @ consistent and steady, albeit small (3-5%/yr) raises.

So, in other peps opinions, how much more am I going to work to be an attny?  What will my pay look like in 5 years?

Ideas?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Should I stay @ PTO?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 9:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 27th, 2006, 9:05am, somerandomguy wrote:
I'm under the impression that I'll make between $120-150K out of school as a patent attny.

If you land the job with the starting salary you postulate, you might expect to earn 180k as base salary as a fifth year associate with the potential for bonuses.   The hours won't be as cushy as for a primary examiner who has no problem making production and you probably won't be working from home other than occasionally.

IP Logged

Isaac
SoCalAttny
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 10:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

At a firm you serve at the pleasure of the partners. When I asked for advice upon starting I was told, "F*** up and you're gone". Gee, thanks.   PTO is most likely a little more tolerant. Money sure is nice, but it is not given away for free.
IP Logged
ViperTX

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 5:05pm »

I'm not an attorney, but it seems to me that an associate at any law firm would earn less $150K....unless they are bringing some large clients with them.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2006, 5:06pm by ViperTX » IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 6:00am »

on Dec 17th, 2006, 5:05pm, ViperTX wrote:
I'm not an attorney, but it seems to me that an associate at any law firm would earn less $150K....unless they are bringing some large clients with them.

The starting salary for a brand new associate at large NY firms is $145k not including bonus.   Large DC firms pay about 10k less.   Very few of my law school classmates landed those kinds of gigs.

Smaller firms pay salaries somewhere between 70-80k and what the big firms pay.   Working hours vary, but nobody appears to be giving away money IMO.

Again, money isn't everything, as SoCalAtty suggests.   I've talked to a couple of 1st year attorneys who are ex-examiners who wonder if they made the right choice.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »