The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 3:36am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Second Bachelor's? Help!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Second Bachelor's? Help!  (Read 1833 times)
wallflower

Re: Second Bachelor's? Help!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17th, 2006, 1:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a similar background as you except I had no industry experience outside of internships.  I went straight from the BSCS to law school.  When I interviewed for positions out of law school, I encountered similar questions you have faced regarding the ability to understand non-software technologies.  Granted this was a number of years ago when the whole idea of CS practitioners was still fairly novel, but I basically told firms I was capable of doing whatever work the firm wanted me to do.  In my case, this meant I worked on semiconductor and mechanical work in addition to software early in my career, but it paid dividends later since I could show a broad portfolio of work nothwithstanding my degree.
IP Logged
confused_3l
Re: Second Bachelor's? Help!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18th, 2006, 11:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

That's what I'm worried about: always having to justify my abilities. I've tried several times at interviews to play up my knowledge of other areas, but it's hard to compete when firms seem focused only on what letters come after your name.  Even if I were to get a job doing say 50% software, 50% other, I'm afraid I'd be at a disadvantage selling myself in terms of the "other" category over those with degrees in that respective area; there'll always be the initial assumption that the "other" stuff I worked on was easy/low-level.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »