The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 10:09am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   outrageous patent filing fee's
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: outrageous patent filing fee's  (Read 1159 times)
tina12345
outrageous patent filing fee's
« on: Oct 11th, 2006, 6:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Patent attorneys and agents charge between 5K and 10K to file a patent. How can the average person pay this? I hear stories about poor people getting patents with little money. Surely they didn't pay an attorney 10K. And they didn't do it themseves, because the patent office always sends the patent back after evaluation and wants more questions answered. And that is difficult to do.  

So how does somebody get a patent that has no money to give an attorney his 10K? That is too much money. Is there govt. offices for this help? Embarassed
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: outrageous patent filing fee's
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 8:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A patent is a business tool.  In that sense a patent is similar to having a telephone, a good location to conduct business, a well-designed web site, sufficient raw materials tools to build products, a building permit, a driver’s license, a reliable truck, or a license to practice dentistry.  For some business certain of these tools are essential, and others are not.

Perhaps you can borrow a truck, or use your cousin’s store front to conduct business, and manage to start with a minimum of funds.  But generally to start a business you need some cash.

If a patent is truly essential for your business venture, then you need to raise the money (save, borrow, or sell shares) to either file the application yourself (not recommended) or hire a professional.  But it is rare that a patent is essential to a businesses start-up, most of the time other things are more important.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
patento

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 8:48pm »

When I sold my house I paid almost 40K (whatHuh) in commission. I don't think the agents did anything special, other than listing the house in MLS and fill out few forms. Then I bought a house and ended up paying something like 5K escrow fee (including $250 to print out a pdf file containing loan docs, sent to them by the bank).  A plumber I called to deal with a cloged sever line asked for $70/hr. Car mechanic charges the same or more. Nobody ever complain about these fees (even if you complain, the system is setup in such a way you have no choice but to pay).  But, when a lawyer asks for $300 for drafting a will, it becomes a story in the town.

Filing a patent is not a necessity of life. Only reason you are doing it because you want to make money from it.  You will certainly not complain if the patent brings millions of dollar in future. Its business, hence requires invenstment.

It needs lots of money and personal sacrifices to become a lawyer (not to mention, a superior mind). Moreover, writing a patent application is not that simple (some say that a patent application is the most complicated legal document, and I totally agree with them). Each and every word in a patent application is capable of rendering a patent either valuable or useless. I don't think 5K is a lot of money for this work (out of it, a substantial amount goes to malpractice insurance).

A patent could be worth the cost of paper on which it is printed or it could be worth millions of dollar; all depends on how it was written. Nevertheless, an inventor can file the app pro se. No requirement that a practitioner is hired. PTO helps pro se applicants by helping them drafting the claims if the subject matter is found to be patentable. Visit www.uspto.gov to find out more information. Another option is to find a patent practitioner who may be willing to accept a partial assignment of patent rights in lieu of money for filing the app. Of course, she/he will do it only if she/he sees a value in the invention.

on Oct 11th, 2006, 6:40pm, tina12345 wrote:
Patent attorneys and agents charge between 5K and 10K to file a patent. How can the average person pay this? I hear stories about poor people getting patents with little money. Surely they didn't pay an attorney 10K. And they didn't do it themseves, because the patent office always sends the patent back after evaluation and wants more questions answered. And that is difficult to do.  

So how does somebody get a patent that has no money to give an attorney his 10K? That is too much money. Is there govt. offices for this help? Embarassed

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2006, 9:04pm by patento » IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 9:02pm »

on Oct 11th, 2006, 6:40pm, tina12345 wrote:

You might want to take a look at the book entitled "Patent it yourself", which will show you what would be a suitable way to protect your idea and/or invention.  
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
T
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 8:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Its worth every penny if you ever need to use assert the patent.  every cent.

If I were entering litigation, I would love, LOVE to come up against a patent drafted by an independent inventor.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »