The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:47am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   PRG and PLI, stuff you get
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PRG and PLI, stuff you get  (Read 1394 times)
last_man_standing

PRG and PLI, stuff you get
« on: Oct 4th, 2006, 7:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My superficial appraisal of PRG and PLI is dervied from a few pictures on e-bay. Phoning PLI got me a 'look at the web page blow-off answer.'  

I'm a new poster so can't put up a link, but the pictures from e-bay imply that PRG gives you more paper materials (binders, books etc.) while PLI looks a little bit light.  

Question: I'm sure both programs are better than nothing, but does one emphasize more theoretical concepts than the other? I'm not sure PLI's 'teach the test' attitude (it's also Kaplan's MCAT philosophy should anyone care), can provide a sure route to passing.
IP Logged
tonyp

Re: PRG and PLI, stuff you get
« Reply #1 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 11:03am »

I've not looked at PLI, but PRG's "Patent Practice" (PP) material is certainly theoretical, or at least conceptual.  

Having read through it in its entirety, though, I'm not convinced that it's a "sure route to passing" either.  PP strikes me as a good treatise to read to learn issues pertaining to actual practice.  But the exam doesn't test you on practical matters - it tests you on minutiae, much of which you're unlikely to encounter with any regularity in practice, if ever.

PRG likes to argue that a sound footing in theory and the big picture of practice is essential to passing the exam, but there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.  While I think reading PP made me a better practitioner, I'm skeptical that it helped me all that much on the exam.  I found drilling old exams and familiarizing myself with the structure and content of the MPEP to be far more useful.
IP Logged
JRS
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 2:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just took the exam and found it fairly easy after using PRG review materials. Thier ExamSuite software is critical for efficient review of questions and there approach in the lectures is fair. They seem to be a little more theoretical but actually convey the material very well. I wouldn't recommend any other review course, especially due to the great exam softare.
IP Logged
SoCalAttny
« Reply #3 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 1:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I used PRG to study for the exam, not the current PC version, and found the materials to be very very useful. They were a good investment since I regularly reference them while practicing. PRG will always be the course I recommend.
IP Logged
smgsmc

« Reply #4 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:49pm »

on Oct 4th, 2006, 7:53pm, last_man_standing wrote:

I'm not sure PLI's 'teach the test' attitude (it's also Kaplan's MCAT philosophy should anyone care), can provide a sure route to passing.

Longacre also "teaches to the test".  It's not what engineers who try to understand things care for.  But having gone through the test, I'm convinced this is the right approach.  For example, you can understand the basic principle that there are hard deadlines for submitting some papers and there are serious consequences if you miss them.  But exam questions focus on what date stamp you get if you use fax, certificate of mailing, or express mail.  Further what happens if the post office clerk writes down the wrong date, or what if the post office goes on strike, or what happens if you transmit a document when you're on vacation in Italy...Focus on passing the exam, understand the material later.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »