The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 3:44am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Top ten ways to get into patent law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Top ten ways to get into patent law  (Read 3298 times)
guest47
Re: Top ten ways to get into patent law
« Reply #5 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'd love to get some overflow work from a solo practitioner or small firm, but I'm not sure how to go about finding them (or approaching them, for that matter).  The patent agent/attorney roster at USPTO's site is the only resource that comes to mind, at least if it is true that solo practitioners are not going to be advertising on martindale that they have a bit of extra work.  All I want is to draft a couple of patents and get some experience.  How do you land contacts that'll  hand over extra work?
IP Logged
Mccalist

« Reply #6 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My situation:

BSME, 1st in class
JD, top third of class, top 50 school
PTO Registration and state bar
No Experience in Prosecution

I've been looking for about a month, sending out 20 to 30 resumes a each day.  So far I've had three phone calls and one interview, but no luck yet.

I've been told by a bunch of people to look for overflow work, but I was hesitant b/c it seems that no one would want to give work to someone who's never written an application.  Is my as.sumption incorrect?

Another thought:  Is it true that most mechanicals are employed in the mid-west?  If so, I'll redirect my search.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2006, 8:09pm by Mccalist » IP Logged
Top_ten
« Reply #7 on: Oct 4th, 2006, 9:28pm »

Ok Mcalist we can start our own firm!

Just kidding, but I am curious in how you go about breaking in, I refuse to accept that it is either the partner w/a house on Martha's Yineyard hires you or you don't get a job in patent law.  Dat dont make no sense in Amerika.

I am an evening division student starting year 2 of 4-When did you graduate from law school, this past spring? did u just take the bar this past july?  if you have a separate email we could exchange where searched for jobs, etc. in more detail.
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #8 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 5:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 4th, 2006, 9:44am, Top_ten wrote:

"top ten" ways to get into patent law-ie when the big dogs (large firms) are not willing to hire?

1. Develop strong moral character
2. Hard working and diligence
3. Get into law school
4. Maintain good GPA (as best as you can)
5. Pass Patent Bar
6. Work expereince (e.g., USPTO and/or voluntary)  
7. Build your specialty and professionalism  
8. Build professional connection
9. Draft resume/look for a job diligently
10. Continue to be engaged in the forum

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
SoCalAttny
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 6:50pm »

These comments are related to 7 & 8......The local professional engineering organizations always are looking for free speakers to broaden the awarness of members. I volunteered to speak for 30 minutes on Patents in General (why they are important and how to get one). Passing the PTO exam qualifies you as an expert to those who never really thought about this area. 20 PowerPoint slides is as deep as you need to go. It was fun and I got my name out there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »