The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 1:24am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice  (Read 2764 times)
biopico

Re: Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice
« Reply #5 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 12:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In the past, I supervised many students in one of the top schools in the nation: some of them went to med schools and others went to graduate schools.  Few wanted to get business experience before they decide what to do.  Except two students, others didn't have clear goal what to do when they were sophomore years, but they kept pondering about what to do after they graduate.  

At the stage of sophomore in college, you might want to leave your option open, considering few options (business experience and law firm experience).

Of course you would want to do what you will enjoy and love to do.

Vacation is the time when you would need to feel for each career route through experience (business or lawfirm experience, etc).  

As for priority, if you can make it to business school at UPenn, you might make it a lot of money with your MBA degree upon graduation.  But I have seen someone who got JD from one of top law schools and went to UPenn to get his MBA and became recognized.  But who would want to do this route?

Realistically, JD route would be better off for the purpose of making better $$$ compared to MBA and business in general.

What would you enjoy most?  Get some feel for it through summer experience.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Bradley Mayhew

« Reply #6 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 3:04pm »

on Oct 1st, 2006, 11:26am, ravenprp wrote:
Should I apply for an ENGINEERING internship or try to get an internship with the IP law firm here where I live?

Engineering.  

At this point in your career, a law firm won't be able to provide much meaningful work for you to do.  Sure, they might find some grunt work to keep you busy.  But where will that get you?  

I recommend that you first get first some meaningful experience in your preferred area of technology.  Later, when you are a law student, you can leverage your technical experience to get a "summer associate" position in a law firm.
IP Logged

Bradley Mayhew
Patent Agent

Search the MPEP
Isaac

« Reply #7 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 3:33pm »

on Oct 1st, 2006, 1:41am, ravenprpp wrote:
5) Should I try to take some classes in English/Poli Sci/This one course called "American Legal History" in Undergrad, or should I just continue on with my engineering courses?

Consider taking  course in economics.  Don't worry about taking any kind of law intro courses.  
IP Logged

Isaac
LF

« Reply #8 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 3:03pm »

I wonder why people really think they learn expertise from a college course about anything. I chalk it to excellent marketing on the part of the school. I think any kind of technical writing course would be good. Something where you really explore if writing for a living is for you.

That being said, I think you are doing the right thing by exploring options.  

I would go ask at the IP Law firm about some work. BTW, call or go in person. Besides giving you "Chutzpah" experience (and don't underestimate how important that will be in life, if you ever plan to have a company funded, what I recommed above should be second nature)., asking them the same questions you are asking here is a great place to start.

Good luck,
IP Logged
SoCalAttny
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 7:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

A difference of four coursesHuh Whatever you decide I would seriously consider a major in EE and a minor in CS. Find a counsler, describe the goal and see how difficult. You would be a standout with both on your academic resume, no matter what your path may be.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »