The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:34am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice  (Read 2770 times)
PRP10

Re: Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 9:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for all the great responses. (I'm ravenprp, by the way Grin)

One more question:

I was speaking to my EE professor one day after class and he mentioned that this one particular company (Lockheed Martin) would pay for your law degree. Now, I live in upstate New York, about 45 minutes to one hour away from Cornell University in Ithaca, NY.

The Lockheed Martin is situated almost an hour away, as well. Now, my professor said that there is apparently some "program" or "agreement" to get my law degree from there.

Question 1: Let's say I receive an interview opportunity for a summer internship or co-op, whatever it may be. Should I mention that I want to enter IP law, or just stick with the engineering internship and keep my mouth shut?

Question 2: This is a subpart to question 1 ... How would I go about bringing up this issue (that I'm interested in IP law, but I would like to first do an engineering internship)? Wouldn't they think they'd rather have an engineer, and just an engineer, not an IP lawyer?

I know that some companies also pay for MSEE/CE for you, but I hadn't known about law degrees. I'm very confused about how to approach this situation.

Thanks again, looking forward to your replies.
IP Logged
PRP10

Re: Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 9:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 21st, 2006, 7:10pm, SoCalAttny wrote:
A difference of four coursesHuh Whatever you decide I would seriously consider a major in EE and a minor in CS. Find a counsler, describe the goal and see how difficult. You would be a standout with both on your academic resume, no matter what your path may be.

Well, here's my courselist differences:

If I do EE and minor in CS, I would take these, and wouldn't take this as a CE, though I do have the option with my technical electives:

1) Semiconductors
2) Control Systems
3) Communications Systems
4) Calculus III (though I still plan on taking this anyway as a CE)
5) Electromagnetics

Now, if I'm a CE major, I would take these couress, and wouldn't take this as an EE, but I do have the option with my technical electives:

1) Digital Systems Design
2) Operating Systems (CS course)
3) Computer Architecture
4) Discrete Math
5) Software Engineering
------------------------------------------

Now, I have two technical electives and two professional electives during my senior year... basically fancy terms for higher-level courses (400-500 level). I was speaking to an advisor, and he said that's really how you can 'specialize' yourself. I mean, I could choose to take Digital Systems Design II or I could even take Semiconductors, if need be.

So, I honestly see myself doing the CE degree -- only because I *think* I would enjoy computer architecture more than I would with Control Systems or Electromagnetics (though emag is interesting, from a basic viewpoint of introductory physics).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »