The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 8:37am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice  (Read 2768 times)
ravenprpp
« on: Oct 1st, 2006, 1:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, I have a few questions. I've been reading this forum, and it has been nothing but help! Thanks so far! A lot of my questions have been answered.

1) I'm a sophmore engineering major. I'm currently deciding between electrical engineering or computer engineering. At my school, it's a difference of four courses, then I get to choose whatever technical electivces I want. Let's say I do computer engineering, I won't be looked down upon if compared to an electrical engineer, right? Although there are some differences between EE/CEs, I shouldnt have that much of a problem?

2) I'm thinking about two paths. One is to get an MBA. The other is to pursue the patent field. How can I find a patent internship with a law firm? Or am I not supposed to have one at this age? I know of one IP firm here (I live in a small city, in upstate NY) and I'm thinking about giving them a call and trying my luck.

3) Would it be worth it to get some engineering experience under my belt after I recieve my degree, take the LSATS, then apply for law school?

4) Is the Patent Bar something I can pass, or would I need some prior training/classes in law?

5) Should I try to take some classes in English/Poli Sci/This one course called "American Legal History" in Undergrad, or should I just continue on with my engineering courses?

If you can answer any of these, that would be great.
IP Logged
smgsmc

Re: Sophmore Undergrad looking for Advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 7:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 1st, 2006, 1:41am, ravenprpp wrote:

1) I'm a sophmore engineering major. I'm currently deciding between electrical engineering or computer engineering. At my school, it's a difference of four courses, then I get to choose whatever technical electivces I want. Let's say I do computer engineering, I won't be looked down upon if compared to an electrical engineer, right? Although there are some differences between EE/CEs, I shouldnt have that much of a problem?

4) Is the Patent Bar something I can pass, or would I need some prior training/classes in law?

5) Should I try to take some classes in English/Poli Sci/This one course called "American Legal History" in Undergrad, or should I just continue on with my engineering courses?

1.  Assuming (a) You're not interested in other fields of EE (e.g., circuit design or semiconductor devices) and (B) You're not seeking a career in basic research (your question indicates that you are not), then a degree in "computer eng" instead of "EE" is not a detriment.  In fact, it may be advantageous.   Demand for computer engineers is strong (and will continue to be).  "Computer eng" explicitly identifies your area of expertise, whereas "EE" is an umbrella term covering everything from power generators to quantum-well devices.

Since you are interested in patent work, double check the degree and course requirements to qualify for the Patent Bar Exam.

4.  You don't need any training or classes in law.  See separate threads for various prep courses for the Patent Bar.  Actually, I'd estimate that ~25% of the questions can be answered by a high-school (or even elementary-school) kid.  Many questions require just rote memorization of laundry lists that do not require any understanding what they mean.  For example, "The categories which are eligible for petition to make special are (a) .... (b) .....(c)"  You don't need to know what a petition to make special means or what each entry (a), (b), (c) means.  You just need to regurgitate the list.    An analogous example in chemistry would be, "The noble gases comprise argon, neon, ....."   The alkalai metals comprise lithium, sodium..."  If the question is "Which of the following are noble gases?" or "Which of the following are alkalai metals?", a third grader could answer those questions because there is no need to understand what a noble gas or alkalai metal is.

5.  If you have enough free electives available, I'd recommend that you take some non-tech courses.  Number one on your list should be proficiency in a foreign language.  The "global economy"  has a strong impact on engineering careers.  You will have an added +++ if you are proficient in Spanish or Mandarin.   Courses which teach you good writing skills (non-technical as well as technical) should also be high on your list.
IP Logged
« Reply #2 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 8:07am »

You're much too serious. You should be out having some fun and not worry so much as a sophmore. Keep your GPA above a 3.5 in a field that you enjoy and you'll have plenty of options for the future.

Its sad that people are so serious that they don't really understand what is important.
IP Logged
ravenprp
« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 10:28am »

on Oct 1st, 2006, 8:07am, guest wrote:
You're much too serious. You should be out having some fun and not worry so much as a sophmore. Keep your GPA above a 3.5 in a field that you enjoy and you'll have plenty of options for the future.

Its sad that people are so serious that they don't really understand what is important.

I am having fun, I'm just cautious as to what I plan to do next. I am either planning to get a MBA or pursue Patent Law. I'm very interested in both fields.

Another question:

I know of a IP law firm here, in a neighboring city (3 min away). I'm not sure if they are hiring for internships or anything, so how exactly should I go about asking them for any available opportunities? Should I call in/e-mail/dress up and go in? I'm not too sure how to approach them. This is a law firm that ONLY does IP, nothing else. How should I approach them?
IP Logged
ravenprp
« Reply #4 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 11:26am »

Also, another question.

Should I apply for an ENGINEERING internship or try to get an internship with the IP law firm here where I live? I'm still on the fence about law school or MBA. If I go the MBA route, I do plan on working first, getting some experiece, then going to a school for MBA. If I go law, I'm thinking straight from UG.

Since I'm on the fence, what should I do first?

If I go with the legal internship at an IP firm, will it hurt/better my chances of getting an ENGINEERING JOB after I graduate with a BS Computer Eng?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »