The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 2:07am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Age Descrimination
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Age Descrimination  (Read 2827 times)
fly2thesun

Re: Age Descrimination
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 7:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear smgsmc,  
it's so relieving to hear that even 10 years from now won't be too late. I'm in early 30's, soon getting a EE PhD, and am realizing an engineering career is quite vulnurable.. Actually, it's not just me.. Many of my classmates know that and talk about that. But most say 'hey, it's too late now'.. But I don't want to agree. I'm looking around intently, but it doesn't look easy. Well, I think my situation is rather atypical, not being a US citizen nor a native speaker of English. I'm not sure, there might be a niche market for an Asian guy who can 'repair' poorly translated Asian patents? (I can read/write 3 East Asian languages.. one as mother tongue, the others as my favorite pastime) I could go back to my home country, but that option has its own problems.  Well, not easy, but I still think I'm young enough to look for a new path..

I couldn't agree more about the lack of career advice for undergrad science/engineering students. It almost feels as if somebody wants us to remain replaceable &  consumable.
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #16 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:37pm »

Real life begins at the age of 60.
IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
LF

« Reply #17 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 2:34pm »

Dear Fky2...

Not sure anyone is conspiring. The problem for so many getting a PhD, is that their role model is some professor somewhere. As a rule, Academicians do not know about the real world (their world has job security, pensions, etc.), none of the things we deal with in the real world. Grin

Never too late to make a change, as long as you are willing to make the sacrifices in benefits and prestige. You might even end up working for someone you TA'd for that you thought was not that smart. But I have news for you, most A students (typical PhD) end up working for C students anyway (those guys who barely graduated, but that most of the time have those intangibles the real world is so interested in). Cool
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »