The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 8:46am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   My Story
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My Story  (Read 4048 times)
cheesepep

Re: My Story
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 2:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wow, not to be mean or anything, but without knowledge of physics and/or engineering, you will not be able to to pass the FE exam if you qualify for it somehow.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 3:19pm »

on Sep 27th, 2006, 2:33pm, cheesepep wrote:
Wow, not to be mean or anything, but without knowledge of physics and/or engineering, you will not be able to to pass the FE exam if you qualify for it somehow.

It would be difficult.  I do know people who have two year technical degrees that managed to pass the thing.  But they had all been working closely with engineers for a number of years.

As far as trying to use work experience is concerned, if you read the agency decisions on petitions from those seeking to qualify using work experience, you'll reach the conclusion that you have to pass the FE exam to have a serious chance.

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2006, 3:40pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
tonyp

« Reply #7 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 4:45pm »

on Sep 27th, 2006, 12:25pm, Isaac wrote:

We don't know much about your skills, but I think it is more likely that you will be able to find a patent litigation position than a patent litigation based on your educational background.   You don't need a PTO registration number for litigation work.

I assume you meant "more likely... to find a patent litigation position than a patent prosecution position."  This would be my sentiment. Having sat on both sides of the desk as inventor and prosecutor, I can say with some confidence that the ultimate quality of the patent will only be as high as the technical understanding of the prosecutor permits.  The OP may be brilliant, but my prediction is that hiring firms looking for prosecutors will have a hard time looking past the atypical background for that line of work.
IP Logged
LF

« Reply #8 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 6:43pm »

Where did the FE exam come into play? Having passed both the PE and the USPTO exam, I can assure you they have nothing in common, other than the use of the english language.

With all due respect to whoever you knew, I find it hard to imagine that someone who did not take the junior and senior level engineering courses could pass the FE, even the Civil Engineering version Grin  (Just kidding).

Not sure if your question can really be answered. As I read it, it is "If I can pass the USPTO exam, and I can pass a State Bar exam, do you think I can get a job in the IP field?". Well, HUNDREDS of people do that every year!  

IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #9 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 8:44pm »

on Sep 27th, 2006, 6:43pm, LF wrote:
Where did the FE exam come into play? Having passed both the PE and the USPTO exam, I can assure you they have nothing in common, other than the use of the english language.

Passing the FE exam is one way to meet the educational requirements for taking the PTO exam.  

Quote:
With all due respect to whoever you knew, I f ind it hard to imagine that someone who did not take the junior and senior level engineering courses could pass the FE, even the Civil Engineering version Grin  (Just kidding).

IMO a person who completed sophmore level engineering courses would have a fair shot at passing with adequate preparation using standard FE study materials.  When I took the test it wasn't discipline specific.   Maybe the current version is more difficult.  

Neither of the people I knew who passed the FE exam without an engineering degree were able to pass the PE exam.  That does require senior level course work.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »