The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 8th, 2021, 3:17am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   My Story
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My Story  (Read 4047 times)
Ryan Koppelman
Re: My Story
« Reply #15 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm a Patent Litigation attorney that qualified for the Patent Bar by passing the FE. I was a philosophy major in college. Never had any engineering training. Buy the FE Review Manual of Amazon. Learn as much as you can especially by working the problems in that Manual. You only need about a 50% raw score one the FE to pass. And there are only 4 answer choices for each question. This means that you only really need to master about 1/3 of the materials. That was my strategy. If you can work and solve 1/3 of the questions, then by guessing and getting 25% correct of the remaning 2/3 of the questions, you raw score should be right around 50%. Michigan is the only state that will let you take the exam without having any engineering studies. And, just about any state will proctor the Michigan exam for you locally. About 6 months of self-studying sure beats 4 year of engineering school. And, if you can pass the FE and the patent bar, it should impress employers. It should make you a good patent ligitation candidate, which is what is hot right now anyway.
IP Logged
« Reply #16 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 8:50am »

on Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:25pm, Ryan Koppelman wrote:
I'm a Patent Litigation attorney that qualified for the Patent Bar by passing the FE. I was a philosophy major in college. Never had any engineering training. Buy the FE Review Manual of Amazon. Learn as much as you can especially by working the problems in that Manual. You only need about a 50% raw score one the FE to pass. And there are only 4 answer choices for each question. This means that you only really need to master about 1/3 of the materials. That was my strategy. If you can work and solve 1/3 of the questions, then by guessing and getting 25% correct of the remaning 2/3 of the questions, you raw score should be right around 50%. Michigan is the only state that will let you take the exam without having any engineering studies. And, just about any state will proctor the Michigan exam for you locally. About 6 months of self-studying sure beats 4 year of engineering school. And, if you can pass the FE and the patent bar, it should impress employers. It should make you a good patent ligitation candidate, which is what is hot right now anyway.

Typical lawyer: found a way to bypass the system and doen't know anything. Just what i want to emulate.

IP Logged
I love the '80s
« Reply #17 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 1:25pm »

To the contrary, I think what Ryan did shows a devotion to IP law and would come across as quite impressive when seeking a lit position.

on Oct 3rd, 2006, 8:50am, guest wrote:

Typical lawyer: found a way to bypass the system and doen't know anything. Just what i want to emulate.

IP Logged
Ryan Koppelman
« Reply #18 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 3:48pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2006, 8:50am, guest wrote:

That's a rather pessimistic view of my comments, and "doesn't know anything" seems unnecessarily harsh. I wasn't expecting such a warm greeting with my first post here. Thanks.  

Nobody that I've met that has taken the Fundamentals of Engineering has thought that I took an easy path by self-studying and passing that test.

I did not intend to imply that teaching yourself Calculus, Partical Physics, Chemistry, Statistics, Thermodynamics, etc. was an easy path to becoming a patent attorney, just a feasible one if one is sufficiently motivated but has not had the formal training.
IP Logged
Jonathan

« Reply #19 on: Oct 3rd, 2006, 5:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Don't let 'guest' sour you on this website. Most posters are considerate.

It is actually pretty cowardly of that person to post anonymously.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »