The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 10:04am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   My Story
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My Story  (Read 4050 times)
LF

Re: My Story
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 6:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think you mean the EIT? The PE test is made up of the EIT (1st part), a sort of GRE with textbooks. The second part, the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) has (had? I took mine in 1989) all the problems in one booklet. Sure, you could pick the Mechanical Engineering control problem, except that all the questions were in MechEng terms.  

At the time (late 80s), in most states you had to wait four years to take the FE part (not the EIT, that they let you take right away). One of the exceptions was Puerto Rico, where all my buddies cheated by taking the test as soon as they graduated. The result was a very humbling experience, where you encountered problems you remembered you could do four years ago, but for which you were having some real challenges after four years of "real" engineering work (Don't get me started on the utility of most engineering curricula to industry).

Speaking as an EE, if you have been working at a power company, you probably have a chance to get "lifetime" credit, since they are the place where an EE needs/wants a PE. If you have been writing software at Microsoft, good luck with the PE board recognizing you without a degree. Not sure how many Chem. Eng. types even sit for the exam, although I have a friend who is one, and took/passed the PE two years ago after 20 years working.  

Bottom line to me, speaking as someone who has judged engineering talent at a fairly high level.  

Someone decides to go to law school for three years, but elects not to spend $200 before setting out to find out if after finishing law school they can practice the specialty of law that drove them to law school...

IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #11 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 6:32am »

You are dating yourself here  Smiley.

The first exam is not called the EIT anymore.  The first exam is called Engineering Fundamentals Exam or (FE), and the licensing exam is called Principles and Practice Exam (PE).

You don't bring text books to the FE exam as you did to the EIT.  Instead you are provided with a reference handbook  

Taking that first exam plus any BS/BA degree meets the educational requirements for taking the patent bar exam.  Presumably they would accept an EIT test result if asked nicely...

IP Logged

Isaac
LF

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 7:43am »

Having accomplished my goal of learning one thing for today, I will now go play golf.
 Embarassed
IP Logged
blake
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 8:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would say, yes, you should be able to find a job with a law firm if you emphasize your software development background (and assuming you take and pass the patent bar exam).  Of course, you need to be willing to move to a different part of the country and take the state bar exam in that particular state.
IP Logged
SoCalAttny
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 9:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The field of law is credential heavy. You will be competing for jobs and the competion you will face will be BS undergrads and a fair amount will have worked in industry as an engineer of some type. The first job will be the hardest after that your list of issued patents will speak for itself.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »