The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 9th, 2021, 9:23am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   My Story
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My Story  (Read 4049 times)
CMG

My Story
« on: Sep 26th, 2006, 9:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Recently I have decided to go to Law School and I am thinking about specializing in IP and/or computer related technology law.  I am becoming more and more interested in becoming a Patent Attorney, but I think based on my background I may be lacking skills to have a successful career in this field.  This is where you guys come in, kind of as my reality check.

So here is my background - went to college as a Biology major and switched to English after my second year and graduated with a 3.0 with a BA in English minor in Archeology.  Although I have not taken my LSAT as of yet, I will get into a JD program at a tier 2 Law School.  I believe that I can qualify to sit for the USPTO registration examination through work experience and class work (category B) or possibly by passing the FE exam (category C).   I have spent the last 8 years working in software development and hardware maintenance for a couple different companies, most recently working in a dot com as a Director of Business development.  

Ok, now figuring that I a) pass the USPTO exam and b) pass my state bar exam, what opportunities are there for me?  Based on everything I have seen so far, most Patent Agents/Attorneys carry a BS and do work in that specific area.  My background is rather eclectic, but it carries with it a ton of experience in IP areas with a strong foundation for business applications of IP.

I really do have a passion for technology, and I think working for engineers in an advocate/legal role is a great fit with my personality, but does anyone else out there think I can show other people this and feed my family?

Thanks for any advice offered.
IP Logged
LF

Re: My Story
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 3:06pm »

The first question is whether the USPTO will let you have a career in this field.  

Best bet for that is to apply, and see if your thesis is correct. If not, figure out plan B.
  Undecided
IP Logged
LF

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 3:08pm »

I meant apply for the USPTO exam. Sure, you may be out $200, but it sure beats spending all that money in Law school if you do not want to be a "bread and butter" lawyer.
IP Logged
CMG

« Reply #3 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 10:33am »

Again, assume that I can and do take the USPTO exam, and also assume that I manage to pass it.  I then take and pass the bar.  Now I can practice as a Patent Attorney.  My question is based on my background as I described it, who is going to want my services?  Will I be marketable and be able to have a career, feed my family, pay my mortgage, or will I just have wasted thousands of dollars to pass two tests with no real world applicable value?

If you do think that my skills would be marketable, where and in what areas?  Patent litigation possibly?

While your point of finding out whether or not I can sit for the exam is valid, and I have every intention of finding this out before going to law school, I think finding out if I can have a career in this field BEFORE I apply to take the test is even more important.  Why bother going through all the trouble to take an exam only to find out 4 years later that I have one heck of a resume but no job?  Might as well save the $200 and the money for law school.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2006, 10:34am by CMG » IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 12:25pm »

on Sep 27th, 2006, 10:33am, CMG wrote:
If you do think that my skills would be marketable, where and in what areas?  Patent litigation possibly?

We don't know much about your skills, but I think it is more likely that you will be able to find a patent litigation position than a patent litigation based on your educational background.   You don't need a PTO registration number for litigation work.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »