The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 29th, 2023, 12:18am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Should I use a recruiter?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Should I use a recruiter?  (Read 858 times)
Should I use a recruiter?
« on: Sep 19th, 2006, 3:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just recently passed the patent bar exam, and have received several letters from different recruiting firms congraulating me and offering their services.  I have been working as a technical advisor in the biotech patent field for two years.  I would like to seek some advise if I should apply to law firms / biotech companies directly, or if I should send my resume to a recruiting agency.  Thanks for your pointers in advance.
IP Logged
smgsmc

Re: Should I use a recruiter?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 3:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 19th, 2006, 3:27pm, guest wrote:
I just recently passed the patent bar exam, and have received several letters from different recruiting firms congraulating me and offering their services.  I have been working as a technical advisor in the biotech patent field for two years.  I would like to seek some advise if I should apply to law firms / biotech companies directly, or if I should send my resume to a recruiting agency.  Thanks for your pointers in advance.

I'm in the same boat you are.  I spoke to a recruiter.  His advice to me is *not* to use a recruiter if you have 0 experience.  It's hard enough getting a firm to hire a novice as is...and if they have to pay a cut to the recruiter for the privilege, it's even harder.   This assumes that you have a list of firms that you can contact on your own, without a recruiter.   That is, if you're considering Firm A, you should contact Firm A directly rather than having a recruiter contact Firm A.  It may be a moot point...he told me that most recruiters won't bother with a total novice because of the reason above.  In your case, it's not clear whether you would be considered a novice or not since you have some experience, though not as a patent agent.  Happy hunting!
IP Logged
Pat+agent+too
Re: Should I use a recruiter?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 11:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

it is not a case of "should" but one of "can I use a recruiter"

it is like saying I just wrote a bunch of songs should I let Sony Music sign me?

or I play football, should I get TO's agent Drew to represent me.

those agencies get paid for referrals, while they do want qualified USPTO certified people and are able to place into good positions, the issue is whether u have enough game.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »