The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 11:46pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Law Books
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Law Books  (Read 2383 times)
Isaac

Re: Patent Law Books
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 2:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 25th, 2006, 1:40pm, SeanUMD wrote:
Thanks LF.  I'll check that book out.

Ron Eager, what's with the sarcasm?

I think his point was that you are not going to learn enough before interview time to impress an interviewer with your "really solid foundation".   I would agree.

That said, if you don't have patent experience, interested firms would not expect you to have a solid foundation, and something considerably less that a "solid foundation" is certainly achievable and possible helpful.   The recommended book is a good reference for what you want to accomplish.   You might also want to take a peak at the general information on the PTO web page that targetted at inventors.

IP Logged

Isaac
SeanUMD

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 3:29pm »

I never stated that I was going to learn patent law inside and out in 2 months.  I've spoken with patent attorneys at several DC law firms over the summer.  All of them told me that I would be of interest to all of their firms because I have a PhD, even without patent law experience.  They told me that they would train me.  I was just interested in some reading material so that I would have a foundation to build upon.  That's all.  I'm not saying that I would know everything.
IP Logged
SeanUMD

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 3:32pm »

Thanks for the advice Isaac!  I'll check out that section of the PTO website
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 3:32pm »

on Aug 25th, 2006, 3:29pm, SeanUMD wrote:
I never stated that I was going to learn patent law inside and out in 2 months.  I've spoken with patent attorneys at several DC law firms over the summer.  All of them told me that I would be of interest to all of their firms because I have a PhD, even without patent law experience.  They told me that they would train me.  I was just interested in some reading material so that I would have a foundation to build upon.  That's all.  I'm not saying that I would know everything.

I understand.   I think we all knew what you wanted, and that Mr. Eager was just having a bit of fun.
IP Logged

Isaac
Wolfcastle

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 10:39pm »

In terms of getting books...just do what you've been doing for the past few years as you worked on your PhD. Go to the library. Even schools that don't have law programs will still have many good books on patent law.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »