The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   some n00b questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: some n00b questions  (Read 2213 times)
mmohs2

Re: some n00b questions
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 21st, 2006, 4:34pm, cheesepep wrote:
Thanks for the responses, but I do believe that the new computer rules states that you cannot bring anything into the test room since they already have an online copy of the MPEP.  But it would be nice if we could bring in other stuff like a dictionary or some other refernece guides.

Is this true?
IP Logged
smgsmc

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:36am »

on Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:09am, mmohs2 wrote:

Is this true?

That's correct.  You can bring practically zippo into the room with you...well, you can wear your clothes.  ABSOLUTELY no papers or written material.  When you check in at the test center, you get a small locker box in which you put away all your stuff (pens, cell phone, wallet, analog watches are OK, but not digital ones).  Everyone has his own preference, of course, but I would recommend studying from the electronic version of the MPEP, since that is what will be provided during the test.  Also:

(1) You have to pay for the printed copy.  The electronic version is free.

(2)  The printed copy is the size of a phone book (~3" thick).  You can't hold it up to read, and you can't cart it around with you easily.  The electronic version is a PDF file and can be readily loaded onto a laptop.

(3) The type size on the printed version ranges from fine to superfine.  With the Adobe reader you can zoom in to a readible size.

(4)  The recent tests center on the ability to quickly find a topic.  The search engine is not a keyword search.  It is the Adobe literal "Find"  search.   You absolutely must develop a proper search strategy, or YOU WILL FLUNK.
IP Logged
cheesepep
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 6:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm still lost here.  So if the question states according to 32 USC 102, then how will I know that correlates to MPEP 701.2 or something?  Why don't I just flip to 32 USC 102?  Sorry for the stupid questions.
IP Logged
Jonathan

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 7:14pm »

There is no logical mapping between title 35 of the United States Code (U.S.C.), the MPEP and title 37 of the Code of Federal Regulations (C.F.R.).  

You just kind of learn the mapping, to a degree, by thorougly studying the MPEP which contains references to both title 35 and title 37.

You will still have to use an index and search functions to locate very specific info in the MPEP. After a bunch of studying, though,  you should be able to easily identify the MPEP chapter that contains the info you are seeking.

The MPEP will typically contain extra information about the statute and related rules that you will need to know in order to properly answer a test question.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2006, 7:28pm by Jonathan » IP Logged
cheesepep
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

That is kind of stupid then.  I rather take the paper exam then because I can have an index sheet of what correlates to what.  But alas, the computer exam is more convenient.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »