The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 8:55am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   how did you get a job?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: how did you get a job?  (Read 4129 times)
viva_MPEP
Re: how did you get a job?
« Reply #5 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 12:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I completely agree. I got the letters saying how they place so many people, but really they make their money shifting EXPERIENCED people from 1 place to another.  So they are just trolling for the career IP person that just took the USPTO exam and wants to switch jobs.  I don't think there are any entry level placement agencies.

The way the US economy is setup these days is a kind of inverse communism.  Once you get in the club, your set.  Getting over the wall is sometimes almost impossible esp. if you are a free thinker.

Aside from the AIPLA, Chicago interview program-does anyone know of any good job fairs?
IP Logged
SoCalAttny
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23rd, 2006, 9:42pm »

Draft an application based on some invention you have hatched while obtaining your Education. Write it, do the drawings, pay the small entity fee, file it. Magically, you have experience and can say truthfully that you have filed an application. BTW, you will become conversant in the PTO lingo and may learn something. Shocked
IP Logged
LF

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 10:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

SoCal:

Ah, a measure of someone's intelligence, how much they agree with your own! I proposed this scenario for Florida a number of postings before, only to take all sort of flak about "being in the box". It would seem the prevailing wind is that it's better to do nothing than to "invest" $425 and show some initiative and confidence.

Of course, one should always remember that just because it is printed does not make it the truth.

IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 10:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 25th, 2006, 10:33am, LF wrote:
Ah, a measure of someone's intelligence, how much they agree with your own! I proposed this scenario for Florida a number of postings before, only to take all sort of flak about "being in the box". It would seem the prevailing wind is that it's better to do nothing than to "invest" $425 and show some initiative and confidence.

While this does constitute "experience" it is not the kind of experience that will count with the clients of McLaughlin and other recruiting firms IMO.   Essentially, those recruiting firms are looking to get paid for finding "laterals".  

IP Logged

Isaac
guest47
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25th, 2006, 11:31am »

on Sep 25th, 2006, 10:52am, Isaac wrote:

While this does constitute "experience" it is not the kind of experience that will count with the clients of McLaughlin and other recruiting firms IMO.   Essentially, those recruiting firms are looking to get paid for finding "laterals".  

While I'm sure that's true, wouldn't it be enough to set oneself apart -- however slightly -- from other fresh patent agents who have had no experience whatsoever?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »